Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Drivers and their problems

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3235 comments

SaveTheWail replied to David9694 | 1 month ago
3 likes

David9694 wrote:

Herefordshire potholes are a danger on rural roads

We are seriously thinking of moving to another county.

Good luck with that.

Steve K replied to pockstone | 1 month ago
4 likes

pockstone wrote:

Loco parentis...or just plain loco? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cld442nkd4yo

A pity she's doesn't appear to have been banned from driving as well as teaching.

David9694 replied to stonojnr | 4 weeks ago
4 likes

I didn't have it on my bingo card for this government  that it would be the one to end the driver subsidy known as free parking. 

Cllr McCraw added: ""Effectively, with having to use resources to subsidise car parking, it is those people] who are not getting any benefit because they don't use the car parks there, they don't get anything back from it, and they can't genuinely understand why that should be the case. 

Cllr Deborah Saw raised concerns over the cuts that could come if parking charges were not introduced.

She said: "I'm on record as saying I am not enamoured of charging for car parking, but I am also on record saying I am not prepared to see leisure centres limit their hours or even close.

"I am not prepared to see our funding for community groups that give advice for people who are in debt culled, or have problems with their landlord, I am not in favour of cutting that."

Steve K replied to hawkinspeter | 4 weeks ago
5 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

You have to feel sorry for this poor driver: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/lamborghini-seized-police-m5-after-9213539

Something about bikes and number plates and insurance.

LordSandwich replied to Jogle | 4 weeks ago
1 like

Hopefully written off so we can have one less of those ugly monstrosities clogging up our streets!

SaveTheWail replied to David9694 | 4 weeks ago
3 likes

David9694 wrote:

Drivers and their problems 

The 12cm reason it is harder to get out of your car now

40% of drivers have reported the problem

"...motorists all over the country are at risk of damaging their cars, through no fault of their own.”

Of course they had no control over their choice of car, or where they parked it.

No mention of all the other people's cars they have also damaged whilst parking their monstrous vehicles (not to mention tree stumps, etc.).

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 4 weeks ago
2 likes

Hirsute wrote:

Didn't realise these are still made !

//ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2024/4/9/4a8d779b-4e2e-4c69-986c-19213cb9fed7.jpg)

This driver had the perfect vehicle for today's weather in Littlehampton, West Sussex - a Dutton Surf amphibious kit car, produced in nearby Worthing.

That driver must be having so much fun and laughing at the other drivers

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 4 weeks ago
1 like

Why didn't he just dump them in the street?

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 4 weeks ago
1 like

3 trains between 8 and 9: 34,31,44 mins.

I liked the comment "My Nissan Juke that's turned into a BMW"

David9694 replied to David9694 | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Au sujet de Nan expressions, does "he's hanging around [the house] like a spare dinner" resonate with anyone? 

brooksby replied to David9694 | 3 weeks ago
2 likes

David9694 wrote:

Dog walkers upset after King's Wood in Challock destroyed by “joyriders”

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/disgust-as-beauty-spot-torn-to...

There is an open space at the top of my village which has two football pitches marked out on it (the local children's team practice on it on a saturday).  It is rutted deep where local kids have ridden motorbikes or e-scooters around on it - they actually had to cancel practices where the ruts were so deep they were worried people might trip.

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 3 weeks ago
1 like

Coats also seem to cost a lot more these days. 

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 3 weeks ago
3 likes

I always think Oxford and Cambridge are a bellwether on traffic and controlling it. 

This has been in the pipeline for a couple of years so I assume we've worked through a range of driver whinges to get this point.

yOUre taking my HUNAn rites away 

they want working Class people outof their cars by 2030

wAke uP sheeple 15 minute cities are reality now

ktache replied to David9694 | 3 weeks ago
3 likes

Why would tyre extinguishers need their weights set to zero?

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 3 weeks ago
2 likes
David9694 wrote:

As the wetter winters (and drier summers) of climate breakdown settle on to the starting blocks, and the gammon curtain of Brexit descends making the UK a second world country, [...]

If the UK is going to be a 2nd world country (which would be about right, absent our glorious past of global rapine and pillage) do we at least get an upgrade to 2nd-world- class cycle infra and local streets?

chrisonabike replied to wtjs | 3 weeks ago
4 likes
wtjs wrote:

Another day, another Sudden Unexplained Acceleration Incident about 2:30 this afternoon [...]

The pattern that David9494 (was it?) outlined is becoming clearer - like predators and con-artists these electric autonomous vehicles are biding their time then selectively picking on the unsuspecting old and infirm - having convinced them they are just there to help.

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 3 weeks ago
4 likes

ktache wrote:

.With thanks to the anti cyclist guardian, Joe Lycett and Foka Wolf.

Do I win a prize for recognising where that is from just half of the road sign?

It's just 5 minutes from my house in Bristol - Blackswarth Rd leading to Crews Hole Rd.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6c7gSndgy7tGVory9

Edit: rode past there and it's currently a British Airways advert

Steve K replied to David9694 | 3 weeks ago
1 like

David9694 wrote:

Drivers : cyclists should pay Road Tax etc

Also drivers : you want us to pay to use the toll bridge? L-O-L 

Fees hike at Eling toll bridge approved by Totton and Eling Town Council amid legal advice

Resident Mary Brown said exemption from the toll had been granted 40 years ago by NFDC on the grounds it was “reasonable and necessary” for residents to be able to access services and facilities in the town centre by the shortest available route.

“In that respect, nothing has changed. Parents taking kids to school, people making use of medical services, shops or the library all have to cross the bridge or make a lengthy detour.

“These services are free to other residents of Totton and to make part of the community pay is nothing short of discrimination.”

Resident Graham Gardiner added: “We have taken legal advice and are of the strong opinion that the issuance of free exemption passes is an established right and should continue in perpetuity.”

https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/news/legal-delay-amid-fees-hike-at-...

Of no relevance whatsoever, but I cycle over the bridge pretty regularly - it's on my 100 mile ride from home in South London to our caravan in New Milton.  It's very pretty there.

chrisonabike replied to Hirsute | 3 weeks ago
5 likes

Hirsute wrote:

Keep the old car

//pbs.twimg.com/media/GLTgLenXwAAl451?format=jpg&name=small)

Shurely "True British patriots have second homes in warmer countries and fly there wooly jumpers and English Roadsters"?

David9694 replied to SaveTheWail | 1 month ago
2 likes

I imagine the damage to the family's multiple cars would be even worse on unfamiliar roads as opposed to the one they all use regularly. 

stonojnr replied to David9694 | 4 weeks ago
4 likes

I cant believe they spent nearly 4 hrs debating creating a £1 per hour car park charge, it should have been a 5min conversation at most if it needed anything more than rubber stamping.

and it still sounds like theyre creating some horrendous system so parking to pick up prescriptions will still be free somehow !?!

why do people find it so hard to understand using a car should cost them money and not be subsidised?

OnYerBike replied to Hirsute | 4 weeks ago
0 likes

Not sure this thread is the place for detailed legal discussion, but I think the term would be "involuntary bailment" if you want to google it for more info. The long and short of it is the person who has come into possession of the goods (the bailee) has certain obligations regarding the goods, including keeping them safe. Simply dumping them in the street would likely by at the very least a civil tort against their owner, and potentially a criminal offence too (if deemed to be fly tipping). 

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 weeks ago
2 likes

"To date we have not found any Country that requires you to have either insurance or a licence to drive a Surf on water." Typical, eh? 

https://www.timdutton.com/4wd.html

john_smith replied to ktache | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

To match their IQs?

David9694 replied to chrisonabike | 3 weeks ago
3 likes

chrisonabike wrote:
wtjs wrote:

Another day, another Sudden Unexplained Acceleration Incident about 2:30 this afternoon [...]

The pattern that David9494 (was it?) outlined is becoming clearer - like predators and con-artists these electric autonomous vehicles are biding their time then selectively picking on the unsuspecting old and infirm - having convinced them they are just there to help.

You wish the car was autonomous, then it would be like "oh, feels like Pops here has mixed-up the gas and the brake AGAIN - I'll just wait here 'til he sorts himself out. (And not the sort that says "that toilet block looks just like the A6 - full speed ahead then")

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 weeks ago
3 likes

You and a friend have won first prize, a day out at Diddly Squat Farm. 

David9694 replied to Steve K | 3 weeks ago
4 likes

Then you'll know the distance from Eling village to the centre of Totton is less than a mile, but drivers will die on that hill. 

David9694 replied to stonojnr | 4 weeks ago
3 likes

"The full-day charge for parking in Hadleigh and Sudbury will reduce from the current £3-a-day to £2.50 – supporting town centre workers, and encouraging visitors from further afield to spend the day exploring the high streets and local attractions.

Refund arrangements are proposed for users of the council’s leisure centres at Sudbury and Hadleigh so no one is deterred from staying fit and active, and also for customers to Roys in Sudbury.  

In addition, officers are looking at refunds for users of nearby medical centres and mobile screening facilities, and possible means-tested permit schemes being explored for parents using council car parks for the school drop off and pick up."

Is there so very much to see in Hadleigh and Sudbury? Utter nonsense about prescriptions etc. Impossible to draw a line - if anything, per Cllr Carter, they should keep the first 30 minutes free - but Google "induced demand" first. The best bit is driving to the leisure centre - "staying fit and active". 

https://www.babergh.gov.uk/w/-modest-parking-charge-proposals-agreed-wit...

SaveTheWail replied to David9694 | 4 weeks ago
1 like

David9694 wrote:

I imagine the damage to the family's multiple cars would be even worse on unfamiliar roads as opposed to the one they all use regularly. 

I can promise them it would be even worse in Derbyshire.

hawkinspeter replied to OnYerBike | 4 weeks ago
0 likes

OnYerBike wrote:

Not sure this thread is the place for detailed legal discussion, but I think the term would be "involuntary bailment" if you want to google it for more info. The long and short of it is the person who has come into possession of the goods (the bailee) has certain obligations regarding the goods, including keeping them safe. Simply dumping them in the street would likely by at the very least a civil tort against their owner, and potentially a criminal offence too (if deemed to be fly tipping). 

However, TIER bikes are left in the streets as part of their usual operation, so it could be argued that they are as safe in the street outside of his property as they would be anywhere else. Better to leave them where they were left by TIER though as it could be argued that moving them caused some damage.

Pages

Latest Comments