Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Drivers and their problems

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3235 comments

andystow replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
4 likes

Hirsute wrote:

Usual nonsense in the comments

"I understand his frustration but he leaves himself open to litigation. If a motorist, speeding or otherwise, reacts in a way which can be proven to have caused an accident then I'm afraid that this chap may find himself in front of the beak."

I doubt there's any rule against a bird nesting box or bat house being yellow. Is there any bird/bat he could attract there that would make disturbing the box illegal?

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
3 likes

Hirsute wrote:

Yeah just block the footway mr policeman, that won't increase risk for pedestrians.

Are they incapable of parking somewhere safe ?

That IS somewhere safe - it's out of the way of motor traffic  4

David9694 replied to chrisonabike | 1 week ago
1 like

chrisonabike wrote:

Ah but taking pictures of things to defy the man (avoid a fine) is righteous.  Taking pictures of people to grass on them to the cops (perhaps because you have feared for your life previously) is ...

Well, OK, perhaps if you're an elderly lady being harrased by antisocial yoof (and sometimes the odd "not from round 'ere" reference slips out) ... but pretty much any other time it's bang out of order.

Heard more of this "snitching on people" on the Beeb (Radio 4, "Antisocial" today - only caught the start tho).  I think the nuisance wasn't that everything went unchallenged, it's just that because a few obvious issues were picked up on other things like "the whole premise of the argument" seem to get a pass.

Joking apart, I always think "driver didn't see the sign" is rubbish. They see them all right. 

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/24281717.m5-technical-issues-cause-...

brooksby replied to stonojnr | 1 week ago
2 likes

Local papers is a bit of a misnomer: most of them don't even have local offices eg IIRC there's one desk which covers everything south of Birmingham down to Lands End.

David9694 replied to brooksby | 1 week ago
1 like

I thought it amusing that there was a car parked in the opening when Google passed. Anyway, I refer you to the official list of Driver Free Passes (extract reproduced below for ease of reference).

Parking 

I've just got to nip in here (hazard flashers) I'll only be a minute

I'm collecting / delivering someone / something 

All vehicles operated by funeral directors and others with the remotest connection to a funeral (esp if the deceased fought at Normandy) 

It's quiet / everyone does it/ no-one will mind 

Crashes 

The sun was in my eyes / it was dark

He blended into the background 

I don't remember what happened 

Medical episode

I or a passenger needed the toilet

[...]

3 likes

It was in London but I did see a Facebook post saying "is evidence gathered by an illegally parked van open to challenge"? 

1 like

A good many car journeys are successfully and safely completed - no aqualplaning, no medical episode, overcast so no sun in the driver's eyes, no-one called or texted and the kids in the back even managed to behave themselves for a change.  And no-one parked their van at the road side or erected a yellow box in their front garden. 

For these things I think we should grateful every day. 

ktache replied to stonojnr | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

Or any other item that has recently had 5p taken off it's tax.

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
2 likes

I like how drivers make the case for making monitoring covert, not overt. 

ktache replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
4 likes

But then why would an otherwise law abiding driver need to react to a speed camera, real or imitation?...

Hirsute replied to ktache | 1 week ago
4 likes

I had someone tell me about another fake camera that they might brake and aquaplane. They drive on the road but don't even know what aquaplaning is.

And they might speed up because "they think it's a 60 due to the camera" ???

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
1 like

David9694 wrote:

Petrol prices are soaring - and could soon go well above 150p a litre

It's a war on the poor because "we have to drive" *.

It's condemning the elderly to isolation because insurance costs have jumped again (in general, but why the old they ask?)

* TBF the higher status / wealthier like to live apart from the proles and the tanneries.  I'm recalling various reportage from the 19th century which often had "we had to rise before 5 as it took us over an hour to walk to the factory / mine / market ..."

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

David9694 wrote:

Police increase patrols over concerns drivers ignore no entry signs

At the end of March, officers were deployed to deal with motorists who contravene the bus gate rules in Semington, near Melksham.

But how on earth do you expect people to know that's not allowed?

That's clearly a road, it goes somewhere, roads are for driving on, you used to come this way a few years back, well, maybe 10 ... So you're changing gear, adjusting the sat nav, chatting to your passengers: there are some signs but then they've gone past.  Frankly there are signs everywhere, can't read them all...

Bungle_52 replied to NotNigel | 2 weeks ago
4 likes

It's interesting that evading the police was considered dangerous driving but the driver that seriously injured Mr Pike in the link below was only charged with careless driving.

https://road.cc/content/news/hit-and-run-driver-without-licence-jailed-y...

David9694 replied to stonojnr | 1 week ago
1 like

stonojnr wrote:

Farmer puts yellow box on a pole to curb drivers speeding along a road, and it works https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/24275906.camera-installed-near-b1078-hachest...

Remarkable. Let's hope his next effort isn't, I dunno, a Star Trek phaser.

David9694 replied to chrisonabike | 2 weeks ago
1 like

No, you're thinking of Tomy Capsticks Capstick Comes Home 

I'll never forget that first day at t'pit
Me an' me father worked a 72-hour shift
Then we walked home, 43 miles through the snow, in us bare feet
Huddled inside us clothes made out of old sacks
Eventually, we trudged over the hill until we could see the streetlight* twinklin' in our village
Me father smiled down at me through icicles hangin' off his nose
"Nearly home now lad, " he said

https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Tony-Capstick/Capstick-Comes-Home

Epilogue
*Thou 'ad street light?? We had a candle from t'corporation an' it were me and ma brother's job to hold it at end of t'street 'til it burned down. 

stonojnr replied to David9694 | 1 week ago
2 likes

he could get one of those flame thrower dog robots, might concentrate the minds of the drivers abit, the speed detector signs that article talks about are useless, even if they come with the camera, the driver only gets a warning letter reminding them to slow down.

without the camera they serve no purpose because drivers just ignore the frowny face sign. Ive sat at a junction waiting to pull out and seen just a constant stream of cars barrel past them, all doing 5-10mph over the speed limit, which means probably double that being shown on the speedo, and no reaction from those drivers at all to the sign.

David9694 replied to stonojnr | 1 week ago
4 likes

A flame thrower dog robot is something every cyclist needs. 

David9694 replied to chrisonabike | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

chrisonabike wrote:

David9694 wrote:

It's a war on the poor because "we have to drive" *.

It's condemning the elderly to isolation because insurance costs have jumped again (in general, but why the old they ask?)

I cling on to the notions drivers/ people verbalise like "wasn't Center Parcs lovely" and "I've got no choice" in the hope that they may one day start joining the dots on this. 

wycombewheeler replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
4 likes

David9694 wrote:

This was echoed by AA fuel price spokesman Luke Bosdet, who said pump prices were climbing towards the point "drivers fear". 

"It is a psychological shock that shouts out from the price boards each time motorists drive past," he said. 

🎻

https://news.sky.com/story/money-blog-news-latest-consumer-financial-inf...

When I last bought a car in 2014 petrol was £1.45 a litre.

Hardly soaring. average rent has doubled over the same time frame.

War on tennants is closer to the truth than war on motorists.

brooksby replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

David9694 wrote:

This was echoed by AA fuel price spokesman Luke Bosdet, who said pump prices were climbing towards the point "drivers fear". 

"It is a psychological shock that shouts out from the price boards each time motorists drive past," he said. 

🎻

https://news.sky.com/story/money-blog-news-latest-consumer-financial-inf...

But it's OK because our taxes are being used to subsidise those poor hard-done-by motorists by freezing fuel duty surprise

LordSandwich replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
1 like

As someone who drives a diesel, I was looking at that and thinking "that's been the normal price for ages!" 😭

David9694 replied to LordSandwich | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

"I ran into the back of him because I was traumatised by seeing the latest petrol prices, m'lud" 

pockstone | 1 month ago
5 likes

Loco parentis...or just plain loco?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cld442nkd4yo

Hirsute | 1 month ago
3 likes

"  In there somewhere is a Motorbike. The rider, having worked a night shift says they fell asleep and came off the road. Thankfully no injuries but a reminder to us all that driving/riding whilst tired is dangerous. Pull over and #takearest. #A3  "

//pbs.twimg.com/media/GKTo0ANXwAASqJ2?format=jpg&name=360x360)

Hirsute | 1 month ago
6 likes
Jogle | 1 month ago
5 likes

Silly season starts early after car wedged at Trevone Beach

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/silly-season-sta...

David9694 | 1 month ago
3 likes

Herefordshire potholes are a danger on rural roads

We are seriously thinking of moving to another county. 

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/24231315.herefordshire-potholes-dange...

David9694 | 1 month ago
4 likes

Motorists find letters under their wipers telling them not to park near Platt Primary School

Where are we supposed to park? (A driver with a parking issue is everyone's problem.)

That is the question being asked by residents of Whatcote Cottages on London Road, Platt, after being ticked off by the local primary school head teacher who has been leaving notes under their windscreen wipers.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/malling/news/headteacher-leaves-notes-on-ne...

stonojnr | 1 month ago
6 likes

Nothing says car dependency more than when a local paper creates live coverage for a council meeting thats deciding whether to set car parking charges to £1 for an hour

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/24237595.sudbury-hadleigh-lavenham-parking-t...

Pages

Latest Comments