Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

UAE Tour 2024

Is it windy then?  Echelons?

My Purist team is total crap if the race is heavily effected by crosswinds.

I love crosswind action.  COME ON WIND!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

runaroundsioux | 2 months ago
1 like

Just looking at my scores for Stage 5 and find my Purist team has been credited with 10 points for Keplinger for being last. However I believe he was a DNS. 
Happy to keep points though

Daniel Norton | 2 months ago
0 likes

I could be wrong, but it looks suspiciously like lots of players have overlooked how many sprint stages are about to happen in this race...

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 2 months ago
0 likes

It is interesting how many sprinters players have tried to carry through the last two stages. It goes from zero to as many as four by some. Those are the players who will doubtless claw back points over the next 3 stages. We will only know the correct strategy at the end and that is the beauty of playing stage races!  

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 2 months ago
0 likes

I only carried one sprinter, but I also only transferred one rider (Eetvelt) in for the climbing stage, so have plenty of transfers left to bring in sprinters.

Unfortunately for me, Inios sacrificed Oscar Rodrigues for Foss so one of the riders I've carried didn't score anyway.  As usual, Inios kicks me when I think they might just give something to a rider.  Why do I do it?

ETA:  Basically Rodrigues is a better climber than Foss and in my opinion would have done a better GC if given licence on both climbing stages.  Inios have got it wrong trying to treat Foss like Ganna. 

0 likes

Foss is at the point he needs to stop having GC aspirations. Can do really good TT's & maybe needs to look at one day races that suit his tape of rider (Paris-Roubaix springs to mind). He has never really ridden one day races though so it would be a steep learning curve. Ineos  will be wanting results from him quickly given that they will be paying him decent money. Seemed an odd signing at the time and nothing has changed my mind on that. 

11waterloo replied to 11waterloo | 2 months ago
0 likes

I see him as a similar rider to Bjerg at UAE. They have turned him into a workhorse deluxe, pulling  the peloton on the flat and a good way up the steep stuff and he is one of the best in the business. I can't believe Ineos would sign him to do that so I assume they have a plan. Goodness knows what it is though!

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 2 months ago
0 likes

Agreed, very similar to Bjerg.

Perhaps Inios do plan to improve Foss as a GC rider and this is part of that process for them.  I just hate how they don't allow a rider, who they have clearly signed as a climbing domestique for GTs (Rodrigues), to go for the GC when they don't have a serious contender for this race.  These medium to high mountains without really steep gradients  suited one rider in the team today.  Give your domestique a chance in the few races you can if you like motivated, confident riders.

0 likes

I fully agree with that. Van Wilder has basically demanded that he gets leadership in some stage races rather than just supporting Remco. Jumbo eventually rewarded Kuss at the Vuelta (after a little bit of shenanigans!) and it probably worked wonders for team morale.

MinardiM189 | 2 months ago
0 likes

Oh dear,

For some reason I thought it was a Team Time trial, like last year, and picked my teams based on that. Disaster looms.

11waterloo replied to MinardiM189 | 2 months ago
0 likes

That makes me feel less bad about my poor selection! 

Daniel Norton | 2 months ago
0 likes

Bit of a let down. indecision

0 likes

Definitely! I cut down on sprinters for today expecting the wind to cause chaos. Bog standard sprint stage in the end.

Latest Comments