Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of Poland

It is disappointing when a World Tour race isn't televised given the number of outlets who could feasibly show it. It makes the game less enjoyable too, as I certainly feel disconnected from the race having to rely on PCS and social media for updates - nowhere near as satisfying as actually watching the race.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

MinardiM189 | 9 months ago
1 like

Congrats to Chupacabra for winning Standard & Pure Gecko for the Purist.

0 likes

Some riders are leaving early to participate in the Worlds.

My chances in the purist competition will be ruined by Kooij leaving early.

Daniel Norton replied to MinardiM189 | 9 months ago
0 likes

Same for me.  Bennett gone so down a sprinter for the final stage.  One day I'll finish with a full team (maybe)

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 9 months ago
0 likes

It's messed up my standard a bit as I carried an extra sprinter through the last two stages ready for today & now I've got to replace Bennett! I ended up taking Van Wilder out yesterday for Bisseger just to keep my four sprinters ( I assumed Van W wouldn't be competitive after his fall at the finish of the previous stage - Wrong!) Gone from second in the ToP to uncompetitive very rapidly!! 

MinardiM189 replied to 11waterloo | 9 months ago
0 likes

Luckily I didn't get caught out by this in my standard team and still in with a chance of winning the competition.

Only a few points in it and all down to a sprinters 'lucky dip'.

11waterloo replied to MinardiM189 | 9 months ago
0 likes

Good luck! I rode my luck to get up to second but ended up with an unbalanced team yesterday and got caught out. Having to replace Bennett is a pain but I don't think my original plan of having 6 sprinters today would have swung it for me. 

0 likes

I think my changes yesterday evening blew that for me. I took out Gaviria & Moschetti and brought in Thijssen and van den Berg.

Could the six points lost be the difference?

My other change Walscheid was a complete fail.

The lottery of choosing sprinters bites again.

0 likes

There is a huge amount of luck in picking sprinters. I get irrationally annoyed by riders who sit up once they can't win. Give me a Coquard every time.... he will fight for nineteenth place in a sprint! 

0 likes

Agreed.

My mistake was not picking Gaviria who has proven he can win at the top level in a flat sprint, whereas Thijseen is still unreliable and van den Berg isn't really a pure sprinter.

It is the first time since I started playig again that I looked at competitors teams, it could be that led to some bad judgement.

Although my TdF performance might suggest otherwsie.

0 likes

I was drawn in by Van den Berg too. Definitely not a pure sprinter! He fancied his chances and was in a great position until the big boys came out to play!

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 9 months ago
0 likes

No separating us on this race! Interesting in that we had very different strategies but ended up the same. My big mistake was taking Van Wilder out yesterday thinking he was injured. A few days off now and we will go again! 

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 8 months ago
0 likes

It's been bloody close in a lot of the races recently.  I need to be bold now if I want to close the gap.  Risky, but settling for second isn't really in my nature.  Hopefully inspired risk taking for la Vuelta (unless I chicken out).

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 8 months ago
0 likes

I'm definitely on the back foot at the minute. Planned to bring in Mohoric for Merlier in Renewi today but ended up not making transfer as Merlier was third favourite. Vuelta has been such a mess so far. TTT went badly & then brought in Onley instead of Gregoire today as I felt he should have inherited GC and young riders jerseys alongside a chance for stage win. My luck seems to be running out!! 

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 8 months ago
0 likes

Unfortunately for me, I didn't pick Kooij on the previous stage so that I could have a stronger team for the final stage, but it didn't work out.  At one point in the last stage, my entire team was the lead group.

For the Vuelta, I was surprised how none of the other overall leaders picked more riders specifically for stage two.  It feels like everyone else is playing it safer than I am, which is probably the sensible approach tbh.

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 8 months ago
0 likes

Bizarrely, inspite of not picking Mohoric with the pick I had saved especially for him, I won the race, my second ever standard stage race win! The points from that race are covering my terrible start to the Vuelta!

0 likes

I have been watching with Tiz Cycling it can have problems with buffering though.

0 likes

For anything that's not on GCN I usually try Cycling Today but their links haven't worked for me over the last couple of days. Will give Tiz a try though, thanks for the heads up!

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 9 months ago
0 likes

Sorry, I would have posted the Tiz Cycling link Monday morning but I didn't see this thread.

It's ridiculous how hard it is to watch Pologne considering it is a World Tour race when they can manage to cover much "smaller" ones all the time.

Latest Comments