Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of Guangxi

It is about 24 hours before the start; I can't find a full startlist or accurate stage start times. There seems to be no previews out there and no betting.

I am wondering if we should skip this race and call it a day for 2023. Any thoughts? Any info sources?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

MinardiM189 | 6 months ago
0 likes

How do you get negative KoM points ?

PCS showing Molano with -2 after Stage 3

11waterloo replied to MinardiM189 | 6 months ago
0 likes

That is quite an achievement! In reality it probably means he held onto a car on a climb or something similar and the commissaires docked him KoM points (not that he would have any interest in that jersey!)

STEVESPRO 79 | 6 months ago
0 likes

I would prefer to do it.. Seems wrong to scratch it at the last minute..

tony kappler | 6 months ago
0 likes

Sorry guys, I have decided that I won't open Guangi, even though I have done a lot of work setting it up. I was just about to go to bed, then the full startlist appeared. I just feel that 16 hours before the start of the race is too short a time to enable all players to participate.

jje, I am in a similar situation to you in that I am 3rd in the standard comp, but I feel that it would be unethical of me to open the comp, because Daniel Norton, who is second, missed Lombardia, and so would probably miss Guangxi because of the timing.

All WT races should be in the comp, but maybe everyone, including the WT teams are exhausted.

I should also say that the admin team here at road.cc work independently without consultation, and Dave, Andy or TER are able to open the comp. So you guys in the UK all need to get up at 4am and check. Unlikely though.

jje replied to tony kappler | 6 months ago
0 likes

O well, thanks for trying Tony. It's annoying that the teams/ organisers can't announce their squads a bit earlier - given the long flight involved it's hard to believe they don't know who's going until the last few hours

MinardiM189 | 6 months ago
0 likes

PCS has all the stage profiles with start times up since yesterday.

The PCS startlist is about 3/4 complete at present (15/18 teams have now confirmed their teams).

I would prefer if we did do the race

11waterloo | 6 months ago
0 likes

I know it seems a cop out but I am happy to skip it. It's a race nobody seems bothered about.

jje replied to 11waterloo | 6 months ago
0 likes

Personally, I would like a a chance to overhaul my (not insurmountable) deficit to Waterloo in the purist comp, but you should probably take less notice of people like us who have a vested interest. It's probably best to be clear early in the season re which races are in or out. For what it's worth, as a non-European I like the idea of including all WT races, regardless of personal views about which races are the ones that really matter

11waterloo replied to jje | 6 months ago
0 likes

I fully understand that as I feel a bit of a fraud sitting at the top of the purist league. As you say, probably best that we don't make these decisions. My main reason for not wanting to play it is a selfish one, in that I am currently travelling around US so will struggle to enter a team if the game doesn't open with a decent window before the race starts. I will support whatever decision is made though. 

0 likes

The weird thing is, this is the third time I've come out of the vuelta in 2nd place. 4 years ago I managed to overhaul the deficit at Guangxi. Last year we knew the season ended with the vuelta and I was miles behind anyway. I agree that the game probably shouldn't open less than 24 hrs before the race - to allow for different time zones. Congrats on winning (both?) season competitions.

0 likes

I'll take the standard win, I've played that pretty well and would have had to play spectacularly badly to lose that in Guangxi. I can't claim the purist as that was still very much up for grabs. The purist was also missing Dr Winston who normally performs well in this discipline and will hopefully reappear next season.

0 likes

You can definitely claim the purist too. With a lead of 70ish it's unlikely you would have been caught at Guangxi - there wouldn't have been any 90 point breakaway stages in this race  1

0 likes

But it's a tricky race to get the right number of GC riders in a purist team. I was planning 6 sprinters  and 2 GC. De Lie covers all the bases - will contest every sprint & young rider. Would likely have gone De Lie, Kooij, Milan , M. Van den Berg, Bennett, Jorgenson, Wellens plus another sprinter but it's easy picking without the pressure of the game! We will pick it up again next season! 

MinardiM189 replied to 11waterloo | 6 months ago
0 likes

It is quite likely you would have lost your lead with that team !!

0 likes

Very true, there is a lottery element to the purist! 

MinardiM189 replied to 11waterloo | 6 months ago
0 likes

I once won the Purist league after the leader going into the last event missed the race  (I think Lombardia). It didn't feel like I won it.

Congratulations on both your season wins.

0 likes

Thank you! I think a grim determination not to miss deadlines is a key asset. I'm pretty sure I only missed one, which was the TdF stage with the computer glitch. Previously I have always missed a few over a season for various reasons. 

Latest Comments