Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Pedestrian Priority YES

Heh. I'm enjoying this new Pedestrian Priority lark this morning.

We tend to have generally more civilised drivers where it comes to pedestrian interactions locally here, than reports from cities. Though the Council are in the stone ages, and the controlling Ashfield Independent party's latest wheeze was to use the Queen "Bicycle Ride" video with the naked models to help create a wedge issue with County - at least when their leader is not up in the Crown Court for everything from tax evasion and misuse of Council funds to possession of cocaine.

Regardless, this morning a large SUV stopped for me when I asserted to cross a slightly notorious local rat run at a wide-mouth junction.

Then it turned out he was doing a U-turn, so I got to make hom stop AGAIN on the OTHER half.

Loving it !

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Bungle_52 | 5 months ago
2 likes

Well done, the more of us that do this the quicker the message will get across. I've started giving way to pedestrians at roundabouts when on my bike, got away with it so far.

Cycloid replied to Bungle_52 | 5 months ago
7 likes

I tried giving way to a group of pedestrians on our village roundabout, but a car swung past me and nearly took them out. From a safety point of view it would have been better if I had not bothered. You would not believe what the nice youg lady called the driver!

Bungle_52 replied to Cycloid | 5 months ago
2 likes

Make sure you are in the middle of the road when you do it.

NOtotheEU replied to Bungle_52 | 5 months ago
1 like

Bungle_52 wrote:

Make sure you are in the middle of the road when you do it.

Definitely! The idiot in the car behind you will always overtake if not and may still try even when you're in the middle.

Cycloid replied to Bungle_52 | 5 months ago
2 likes

I was, that's what I meant when I said "Swung past". If someone is determined to drive like **** they will always find a way to do it!

jaysa replied to Cycloid | 5 months ago
0 likes

Hmm. With you on giving way to pedestrians at junctions etc. per the revised HC, but I don't chance it with a car behind me. As I have no brake lights, and no way to show I'm stopping, I worry the following car will run into me ...

andystow replied to jaysa | 5 months ago
2 likes

jaysa wrote:

... no way to show I'm stopping...

Arm signals

For use when direction indicator signals are not used, or when necessary to reinforce direction indicator signals and stop lights. Also for use by pedal cyclists and those in charge of horses.

Rendel Harris replied to andystow | 5 months ago
2 likes

Unfortunately most drivers don't seem to know that signal and often assume it means you're turning right. I find that if I need to show I'm stopping - approaching a zebra, for example - right arm extended at 90 degrees with elbow perpendicular and palm open seems to be much more widely recognised as a slow down/stop signal. I've actually got a brakelight thanks to a kind recent birthday present, a Magishine, and it's pretty effective as well as being a good light; a number of cyclists have commented how useful it is when following on cycle paths but I'd never rely on it alone as a warning as they're just not common enought for drivers to be watching for them.

ktache replied to andystow | 5 months ago
1 like

No one knows what the flappy arm thing means.

I think I've done it once since my cycling proficiency.

chrisonabike replied to ktache | 5 months ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

No one knows what the flappy arm thing means.

I think I've done it once since my cycling proficiency.

Agreed - but just try quizzing someone on the car ones (as helpfully linked by andystow)!  Granted - can't think of a time I've ever needed them though...

Latest Comments