Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Women are weaker?

A number of ubermen hereabouts like to dismiss the notion that one day, if allowed by the patriarchy, a woman might win high level open races against all including the men. Women are dismissed as inherently weaker beings who should be confined to the ghetto of badly (if at all) supported races for women only.

Ha!

Here's an interesting little story from another cycling website.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/indoor-cycling/real-world-success-...

Note the various data values involved.

A quote from the article:

After cordially warning her competitors that it was the first time she would ride in a group, she rode away, winning by almost five minutes over the hill climb series leader, Sonya Bodick. Her 5.24 wkg average for 22:52 earned her another QOM, a course record, and the victory – and even one position before her coach Josh Lipka.

The recently crowned Men's Masters 35-39 Open US National Time Trial Champion put out 4.83 wkg and averaged 425 W to hold Kristen's wheel and, when asked about it, could muster no more than an, "It was awful!"

Gawd - the ubermen must be feeling all trembly at the knees!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

bigwheeler88 | 5 months ago
0 likes

Impressive, but online cycling is nothing compared to the real thing. Then it's a mental game, and as much as I love my wife, I know that women just aren't as strong mentally as men.

chrisonabike replied to bigwheeler88 | 5 months ago
3 likes

bigwheeler88 wrote:

Impressive, but online cycling is nothing compared to the real thing. Then it's a mental game, and as much as I love my wife, I know that women just aren't as strong mentally as men.

I guess you're fishing, but ... is it your wife you're extrapolating from to all women, or ... a similar looking one?

mark1a | 6 months ago
3 likes

Well, it's been a week now since this was posted, and I had gone out and bought extra popcorn for Cugel's replies... oh well. 

mark1a replied to mark1a | 5 months ago
3 likes

Update. We may not see responses from the OP on this debate, Cugel appears to have PFU status (previously flounced user). He is active and well back on the Cycling UK forum after an 8 month absence, educating and informing the forum denizens in a pompous and sneering manner, 15 paragraphs at a time. 

chrisonabike replied to mark1a | 5 months ago
2 likes

Well I'm pleased they're well.  I always wonder, if someone disappears.  If it's not a Nigel / TIMUN / Socrati/Martin / other frequent revenant spontaneously combusting.  And if it's not an obvious flounce (like IIRC ShutTheFrontDawes did) - I do find myself thinking "hope they're OK".

Cugel said they did a lot of country road riding and while it sounds like they're in a local paradise in south-west Wales, country roads are where some of the worse crashes occur.

Anyway, thanks for the update.  Obviously they needed an outlet for their prose so that will be good for them too.

SaveTheWail replied to chrisonabike | 5 months ago
2 likes

Don't worry; we're all Rendel Harris anyway, according to some.  Seriously, though, I have wondered more than once what happened to Captain Badger, so I know what you mean.

chrisonabike replied to SaveTheWail | 5 months ago
0 likes

Où sont les blaireaux d'antan?

SaveTheWail replied to chrisonabike | 5 months ago
1 like

That's what I'd like to know.  Hopefully not where I most often see them.

chrisonabike replied to SaveTheWail | 5 months ago
1 like

Bloody cyclists...

Rendel Harris replied to SaveTheWail | 5 months ago
2 likes

SaveTheWail wrote:

Don't worry; we're all Rendel Harris anyway

I'm reminded of an old Stephen Fry piece to camera on the F&L show referencing the Milton Keynes advertising of the time ("Wouldn't it be nice if all cities were like Milton Keynes?"): "No, I don't think it would be at all nice if all cities were the same, but especially not if they were all like Milton Keynes..."

Rendel Harris replied to chrisonabike | 5 months ago
3 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

Well I'm pleased they're well.  I always wonder, if someone disappears.  If it's not a Nigel / TIMUN / Socrati/Martin / other frequent revenant spontaneously combusting.  And if it's not an obvious flounce (like IIRC ShutTheFrontDawes did) - I do find myself thinking "hope they're OK".

I did ask him a few months back what he was actually playing at, and he answered he liked to stay on a site for a few months at a time and "offer the benefit of my wisdom and experience" [sic] and then disappear again. Highly peculiar and often deliberately vexatious but not actually malicious, I thought?

David9694 | 6 months ago
3 likes

there's only one way to settle this 

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
2 likes

26"?  There will be injuries...

David9694 replied to chrisonabike | 6 months ago
8 likes

Now, this is a new event in the Olympic calendar so Brian, talk us through the rules.

OK Steve, well obviously the winner of this contest is the first competitor to fit a pair of Schwalbe Marathon tyres to the judges’ satisfaction.  Marathons come in a wide range of sizes, as do the wheels they are fitted to. The competitor supplies the wheels, which must be Mavic made that he or she wishes to compete with, but the judges issue the inner tubes and crucially the matching tyres.  

Sounds simple enough Brian but there’s a few technical catches here aren’t there? 

Yes, Steve, this is where the ETRO sizing is a major factor.  The rules are that the Tyre and tube must be the same diameter and the width within the Sheldon Brown rules  -  that’s the first number in the ETRO rating  - as the competitor’s chosen wheelset.  Competitors can choose the width of tyres they work with and bear in mind too that they will receive the relevant inter tube - that can all make a difference.  

And what are the judges looking for in a completed fitting?

When a competitor declares their wheels finished, there is a 90 second inspection of their work. The tyre must be pumped-up to the highest pressure in its specification and it must hold that pressure throughout. Any bulges of inner tube or punctured tubes a the wheel will be disallowed. 

And the tools they are allowed to work with, Brian?

The judges issue 3 tyre levers - there’s Park, Schwalbe, traditional metal, Decathlon types to choose from. Each type has its pro and cons. It’s a test of competitors’ strength but also their skill and dexterity. 

Thanks for that, and let’s cross now to the arena, and join Kirsty who’s in what looks like a suburban garage. Kirsty.

Thanks Steve, that’s right, this is an upscale authentic replica of the garage of no 32 Acacia Avenue where this competition has its roots.  The competitors are lining up now, let’s take a look at that leaderboard. 

mark1a replied to David9694 | 6 months ago
7 likes

"Next up Brian, the qualifiers from this heats round will be removing and refitting a rear Schwalbe Racer on a 6 speed Brompton with mudguards at the roadside in the rain. I don't know where this is going to go. There could be tears before we get to the medals. Remember the call of shame home is instant DQ."

#beenthere

andystow replied to mark1a | 6 months ago
3 likes

mark1a wrote:

"Next up Brian, the qualifiers from this heats round will be removing and refitting a rear Schwalbe Racer on a 6 speed Brompton with mudguards at the roadside in the rain. I don't know where this is going to go. There could be tears before we get to the medals. Remember the call of shame home is instant DQ."

#beenthere

I've been there too. In the dark.

chrisonabike replied to mark1a | 6 months ago
0 likes

Of course - this is the international version.  Locals swear by (and during) their own version of the contest, featuring at minimum a bike weighing a significant fraction of your bodyweight, sporting a chaincase...

chrisonabike replied to chrisonabike | 6 months ago
1 like

To be fair Workcycles actually make this job "easy" - just remove "a few" bolts and detach a section of the frame "for easy tire changes"...

ktache replied to David9694 | 5 months ago
1 like

Are marathons directional and should the logo be aligned with the valve?

Paul J | 6 months ago
2 likes

A top level (99th percentile say) trained woman will beat the majority of men (i.e., general population, inc. couch potatos). She in turn will be beaten easily by many far-from-top-level, well trained men; and absolutely nowhere compared to high-level, well trained men (see screenshot of KOM v QOM times below). The *average man* will beat _nearly all_ women. The average well-trained man will beat well-trained women who are much higher percentile in the women's field.

If you don't understand this, then you do not understand population distributions, and you shouldn't really be on here trying to make a point.

Though, what your point is exactly is hard to discern. I suspect it isn't about women though, but more about not-that-good men who wish to compete with women.

Dnnnnnn replied to Paul J | 6 months ago
4 likes

Paul J wrote:

what your point is exactly is hard to discern

I think he likes it that way.

JLasTSR | 6 months ago
2 likes

I think it shows one thing that is possibly true for a lot of slightly less than mainstream sports. The people with the very best potential in the world may have never tried that sport at any level. It may be that it is only with the advent of new technologies and training that we will start to see people try out a sport and then emerge and come from nowhere so to speak. Quote exciting really.

chrisonabike replied to JLasTSR | 6 months ago
1 like

The Quidditch Quadball champions of the future?

Aside from brave new ideas (which might not be so new) ... where physical speed, power or strength are less central there's lots of space for discovery.  There are also some more "physical" disciplines which are contested more evenly between sexes.  For one there seem to be some extreme endurance events which regularly feature women beating men at the top level (ultrarunning, the Transcontinental etc.)

Left_is_for_Losers | 6 months ago
2 likes

Women are weaker? 

Is that even a question?

levestane | 6 months ago
5 likes

Women are weaker? I don't know but men are making such a brilliant job of running the world with global peace, environmental bliss etc.

marmotte27 replied to levestane | 6 months ago
1 like

Different subject, though maybe not unrelated.

peted76 | 6 months ago
1 like

What's an uberman? Is that german for Superman?  

Rendel Harris replied to peted76 | 6 months ago
12 likes

peted76 wrote:

It's a taxi driver, there's an app you can order them with.

SimoninSpalding replied to Rendel Harris | 6 months ago
3 likes

Not 'round 'ere you can't. The app never actually admits defeat in finding a car for you but you will have lost patience/ walked to where you need to go/ drained your phone battery in the meantime.

Dnnnnnn replied to Rendel Harris | 6 months ago
6 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

peted76 wrote:

It's a taxi driver, there's an app you can order them with.

Superman is driving taxis in Herne Hill? Times are tough.

Pages

Latest Comments