Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recommendations for road e-bike

Hi I have had a full knee replacment roughly one year ago and slowly getting back into cycling. I can put very little power or high cadence (as yet) though the leg that's been 'replaced' and want a bike that I wil be able to use now and in the future that could take me up any reasonable hill. I will ride on my own and plan to have occassional group rides in slower speed groups. 

I don't believe the 250w/300w motors e.g Fauza/Mahul hub motor bikes will provide me with sufficent power to get up steep hills. I am thefore looking at the Giant e+ pro bikes as they have a strong 500w motor but at the expensive of a circa 18-19kg bike weight. However I have read a review that stated the Gaint E+ pro provides a harsh ride at the front due to stiff forks.

I would be interested in the experience of anyone who has been in a similar postion or can talk about their experiences of the Giant electric e+ pro road bikes. 

Many thanks - Andy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

msf1122 | 9 months ago
0 likes

Hi Andy

Generally there are more options available in US when it comes to powerful ebikes.

When I was in the US, I had the Aventon Sinch, step-through ebike with 500W motor.

Its crazy that we cannot go beyond 250W here in UK.

And I think a step-through ebike with a Torqe sensor would be great for you.

Do also check for seat post suspension as it will make your rides a lot more comfortable.

I hope it helps.

IanMSpencer | 10 months ago
0 likes

I ride with 2 people who have the Fazua system and they both have had reliability problems.

Not much fun going on a drive and ride and the motor won't kick in when you get on the bike... and a combination of that big container ship in the Suez, COVID, and Brexit made for a nightmare of trying to get other mate's fixed (failed battery unit which took months to be replaced). He bought an Orbea with a hub motor as a spare and he prefers it. However, his is helping aging legs do long distances, not high assist on hills. Both have range for 80 mile rides with careful management.

AndyIT replied to IanMSpencer | 10 months ago
0 likes

That's interesting & good to know. I think the relability issue is a whole other ball game.

Kapelmuur replied to IanMSpencer | 10 months ago
0 likes

I've had a Cube Agree road bike with Fazua for 4 years and have had zero problems.

I really like the system and am planning to buy a Boardman with Fazua to use as a winter bike.

Oldfatgit | 10 months ago
8 likes

After being hit by a badly driven car in August 2018, my left patella was shattered in to four pieces, and these were joined together by pins and tension wire.
I also suffered a full thickness tear of my left PCL .. so in effect I do not have a PCL in my left knee.
I have general instability in my left knee - it's prone to collapse without notice, power transmission through the knee is also affected and as the patella is no longer smooth, it can be painful to bend or even keep straight.

I tried a Fauza drive in late 2019, and while it made life somewhat easier, I wasn't convinced it was the option for me.

I hired a step-through city bike with a Bosch ActiveLine motor, and the difference was night and day. The way the Bosch delivered the power was subtly different to the Fauza system, and I knew that it was the motor system for me.

February 2020, and I took delivery of a Cannodale Synapse Neo 2, with a Bosch ActiveLine motor ... and what a difference.
I was able to ride almost as normal again.
Range was not a problem; by staying in Eco I was able to do my first Imperial Century ride.
I've only ever run out of battery once, and that was after 80 miles, with around 60 of them in to a 20mph gusting 45mph headwind. Gotta admit, that was not particularly enjoyable, but it was a charity sportive and I wasn't backing out.

The Neo has been my everything bike ... gravel, road, shopper towing a trailer, and commuter.
I've riden over 10,000 miles on this bike since Feb 2020.. which given I can't walk more than 300 meters unaided is a massive personal achievement. The bike has taken every thing I've thrown at it, including gravel rides with around 4,000ft of climbing...

I've just brought a Basso Vega with the Polini mid-mounted motor; it's got more torque than the Bosch (70Nm to the Bosch 50Nm), so hill climbing is not an issue.
The power management is totally different to the Bosch too, with 3 different levels and 5 different modes within each level.
In the lowest level and mode, it states I have a range of around 140miles; highest level and mode it's around 50 miles. I did my commute (40 miles) on Wednesday in Mode 2, Level 2 - about equal to the Bosch Touring Mode, and according to the display, I still had range for another 70 odd miles.

For my particular use and my particular injury, I would absolutely recommend the Bosch or Polini systems over the Fauza.

I would however, suggest that you see if you can hire a Bosch powered bike (I'm lucky that my local bike library had one), and give it a go.

Some personal info:
Age ... 53
Weight ... 100kg
Geographical location ... Central Scotland.

Cugel replied to Oldfatgit | 10 months ago
0 likes

Horses for courses ... of course .... but also, the right steed for the rider.

There are now many types of e-bike, with a wide variety of styles, features and performances. The trick, when buying one, is to know what you really want from such a bike. These days, it's often quite difficult to sort out one's true wants & needs from all of the advertising and social media memes the rascals implant in our poor overheated brains!

Some considerations:

Bike weight is not so much an issue when riding the e-bike, as the heavier items tend to have motors with more torque and batteries with a greater capacity. But a heavy e-bike can be a real problem if you have to lift it ... to bring it into a house or flat with steps; on to a car carrier or even up and down the steps from your bike shed to the road. Once a bike gets to 20 kg or more, you'll struggle unless you're a big strong 'un.

Battery removal is often necessary if you need to store your bike where there's no means of charging it; or you have to get the bike indoors to charge it rather than just taking the battery. Storing batteries in the bike in a very cold or very hot shed can also become an issue as temperature extremes affect batteries in various ways. Easy battery removal ability is useful.

Battery capacity need only cater to your longest ride between charging opportunities. A 250 watt-hour battery is generally good enouigh for rides of at least 60k ... a lot longer if you're just wanting assistance from the motor rather than for the e-bike to be more of a motorbike activated by pedal turning. Larger batteries are heavier but also consume twice the materials used to make them. As do heavier e-bikes. They're less "green". if that matters to you.

"Cycling" is a broad church. There are lots of motives, styles and reasons for riding bikes, including the e-variety. It's important when choosing one to know how you'll actually use it and what aspects of it will be most important to you. It's all too easy to think of advertser's "reasons" you should have one rather than your own reasons - your own motives and style for cycling. 

For example, do you need the most powerful motor with the highest battery capacity or is this just being persuaded by the advert that "bigger is always better"? Many now choose a 2 ton SUV as their family transport, for example, when what they really would be suited with is a much smaller and less powerful transporter that costs half as much to buy and run, is less polluting and doesn't induce feelings of drivist superiority.   1

In short, best to avoid image triumphing over substance when buying anything, including an e-bike.

AndyIT replied to Cugel | 10 months ago
1 like

Before my knee op I had no need for an electric bike and able to ascend reasonable hills up to 15% without issue. Now thougth it's really quite different at least maybe for the next 12-24 mths assuming my strength/flexiblity of the joint improve. I can see what you say re power but some people clearly need greater power above and beyond just a little help. 

Oldfatgit replied to Cugel | 10 months ago
1 like

If you think that I'm "triumphing over substance" you couldn't be further from the truth.

I really don't know why you are lecturing me. My bikes do what I need them to do.

I needed bikes that could cope with 40mile commute, and 60 to 100 mile road rides.

I also found that the Fauza system *wasn't right for me*. Your post reads like you have taken that as a personal affront on behalf of Fauza owners everywhere.

Thats up to you.
I've not said anything bad about the system, it just didn't do what I need it to do.
But ... it obviously does what *you* need it to do.

Thanks though, for telling me my personal experience is wrong.

Cugel replied to Oldfatgit | 10 months ago
0 likes

Oldfatgit wrote:

If you think that I'm "triumphing over substance" you couldn't be further from the truth. I really don't know why you are lecturing me. My bikes do what I need them to do. I needed bikes that could cope with 40mile commute, and 60 to 100 mile road rides. I also found that the Fauza system *wasn't right for me*. Your post reads like you have taken that as a personal affront on behalf of Fauza owners everywhere. Thats up to you. I've not said anything bad about the system, it just didn't do what I need it to do. But ... it obviously does what *you* need it to do. Thanks though, for telling me my personal experience is wrong.

You're not being lectured or told that your choice was somehow wrong.  "Horses for courses"  and "the right steed for the rider", is what I  said. My post is just to point out that there are alternatives to "more of it = better", even if sometimes more power and energy (and weight) does mean better, as it seems to for you.

And it's also relevant to list some considerations in choosing a light weight or minimalist e-bike type or a heavier and more full-on e-bike type. 

The OP has had an artificial knee installed.  These can be very successful at re-establishng physical abilities, sometimes (often) to a degree better than before the op. (That's why you have such an op, after all). I know three people, personally, who are now able to run and cycle better than they did for a year or three before their new knee(s) were installed and bedded-in. It took them just three months from the op to recover their abilities.

So, whilst a new knee might need more help to cycle in the short term, it's highly likely that it'll enable cycling no different to that possible before the knee went bad. Maybe the better e-bike in such a situation would be one that's more like an ordinary bike (or can be) than an electric moped?  This is not to diss moped-like e-bikes or those who find them the best solution to their own knee or other physical issues.

Not everyone needs the e-bike you need, even if the root cause of both needs happens to be a knee issue.

As to your admitted dislike of the Fazua bike you tried, would you like to say what it was you disliked, in detail?  This might help the OP in his own choice, by illuminating that he has a similar reason to reject Fazua-type bikes or realising that he doesn't have such a reason and can therefore still consider such a choice along with the others.

AndyIT replied to Oldfatgit | 10 months ago
1 like

Many thanks lots of useful insights. So far I can't find anywhere to test electric road bikes nearish to me. Seems the more powerful motgors could also be a bet aginst future knee problems/issues and could help one keep cycling for longer.

Cugel replied to AndyIT | 10 months ago
0 likes

AndyIT wrote:

Many thanks lots of useful insights. So far I can't find anywhere to test electric road bikes nearish to me. Seems the more powerful motgors could also be a bet aginst future knee problems/issues and could help one keep cycling for longer.

In reality, the increased torque of a big Bosch motor in an e-bike has little meaningful advantage in terms of going up hills, except you can do it full e-gas for longer. Such motors and their larger batteries tend to serve those who want to put in less effort themselves (for all sorts of legitimate reasons, I hasten to add before getting stomped on again) and/or want to go long distances in one ride without having to recharge the battery or take a spare.

If you're worried that future knee problems are going to be of the sort that will make cycling very difficult yet you still want to travel about in a bike-like fashion, you might be better going true motorbike. But why take the pessimistic view?   1 Those artificial knees are wunnerful things, as Len the Fish (who has just had two) tells everyone who asks (and everyone who doesn't).

As you suggest, though, the best buying mode would be to test and compare several e-bike types to see what's what for your personal wants & needs & likes. This is no easy matter but probably the most likely way to achieve such testing would be to ask friends and acquaintances who have e-bikes if you could have a go on theirs.

If you lived in West Wales, I'd happily let you have a go on one of mine, as I have done for two local acquaintances already. Both of them ended up buying Bosch panzer sit-up-and-begs, though. They go everywhere on them at 15.5mph, including past me on the hills ... but I'm parsimonius with the power of mine, not wanting my legs to wither away, see? ;-/

0 likes

Knee recovery can varies considerably; some people take a longer time to get  back to near where they were. Why would I buy a motorbike? If I need to travel unaided I would drive. The point is cycling is good cardo vascular excercise and low impact on knees; a powerful motor will let you cycle for longer as you age.

Knee problems don't typically prevent cycling they just need careful managment and powerful motor would help at times. You can always switch if off. 

Better to have the power and not need it than vice versa. Unfortunately I only know someone with a hub motor which I have discounted as it's not going to be powerful enough certainly in the intial stages.  The great thing with e-bikes is the ability for the rider to decide how much effort they wish to put in; you can stil get a work out even cycling on the flat. I need help now getting up hills and don't want to be a positon where I can't as the motor can't or won't provide sufficient power.  Thanks you for the offer of trying one of your ebikes but Wales is many hours drive from me.  I much prefer drop handle bars as I like being able to move hand positions on longer rides.

You seem to have a dislike of more powerful e-bikes; not sure why. I have no interest in speeding past other cyclists going in up a hill, more just be able to ascend so that I and my knee are comfortable and at the same time keeping my heart rate under a reasonable limit. A large battery is in part insurance and caters for circumstances such as going out for a longer ride and there being a stronger than expected headwind. I don't care what other cyclists think of me as I cycle for my own enjoyment and excercise.

Cugel | 10 months ago
4 likes

You'd be buying under a misaprehension if you think that a mid-bike motor like the Fazua or similar is lacking in power to get you up hills. The Fazua Evation, for example, puts out 55-57Nm of torque and (assuming you yourself are not very heavy indeed) this will pull you up any British hill with relative ease, other than the very few monsters such as Wrynose or Hardknott.

We (me and the ladywife) have three Fazua-equiped bikes in our household, of the lighter e-bike variety (13.5kg, 14.5kg and 16.5 kg, one racey and the others more Audax style). We live and cycle in West Wales, which consists of nothing but hills, many of which are both long and steep.

Like many e-motors, the Fazua can be set to have various assistance levels and profiles. Currenty we tend to have a +80 watts, a +140 watts and a + 200 watts assistance setting, coming in gradually at 90 watts output from we riders and gradually increasing to those maximums as we riders increase our output to 120/180 watts (our respective FTPs) ourselves. We don't use the potential 201 - 250 watts level of motor assistance, ever.

I weight 82 kilos and the ladywife weighs 56 kilos. My true FTP (what I can actually output for one hour or more, continously) is probably about 180 watts whilst the ladywife has an FTP (I'd guess) of around 120 watts.

Unless your knee is extremely delicate and/or you are very heavy, such a motor and the above-mentioned settings would easily allow you to tackle most British road-hills. Use the 250 watts max continuous output as well and you'll probably beat either of us up any of those hills.   1

Being 74, I have many friends and acquaintances who have new knee joints; and many also with artificial hip joints. Many cycle, run (even fell run) without issue, some at a high level despite their old age and joint replacements. Those artificial body bits are tough stuff! You can probably work up to a surprising fitness if you trust the surgeon who put yours in.

1 like

Hi many thanks for the feedback; that's very useful. I am still working on getting the required flexion back (ligaments) as well as incresaing muscle strength. Hopefully over time it will come and so my longer term need might well be for lower assistance. In the short term I want the reassurance of having the power even if I don't need all of it it. Maybe I just need to avoid hub motors as they won't provide sufficient torque. I am partly drawn to the Giant as I have seen one at a good price significantly less than the Fazua systems (though being able to remove the system altogether is a nice feature of the Fazua systems). I have never reallly gauged my FTP but somewhere around 120-130w before my knee op at a guess though now it will be really very low maybe 50w.  

+Does a Fazua sstem stil provide good assistance if you are cyling slowly?  or does one need to hit a certain cadence for it to provide the full assistance? I have read that some systems ramp up the assitance (even on high power modes) only when the rider is putting out higher cadences?

Cugel replied to AndyIT | 10 months ago
2 likes

AndyIT wrote:

(snip) Maybe I just need to avoid hub motors as they won't provide sufficient torque. I am partly drawn to the Giant as I have seen one at a good price significantly less than the Fazua systems (though being able to remove the system altogether is a nice feature of the Fazua systems).(snip).  

+Does a Fazua sstem stil provide good assistance if you are cyling slowly?  or does one need to hit a certain cadence for it to provide the full assistance? I have read that some systems ramp up the assitance (even on high power modes) only when the rider is putting out higher cadences?

Here are two url to Fazua pages describing aspects of the Fazua Evation software that allows you to set various power assist parameters to match your own power output, cadence and required "feel" from the motor asistance.

https://fazua.com/en/support/help-center/ride-50-firmware/general/

https://fazua.com/en/support/help-center/ride-50-firmware/maximum-vs-min...

Some figures extracted from the above:

Torque max: FAZUA RIDE 50 EVATION - 55 Nm | FAZUA RIDE 50 TRAIL/STREET 58 Nm
Power max.: FAZUA EVATION - 300 W (mechanical) | FAZUA RIDE 50 TRAIL/STREET - 350 W (mechanical)
Cadence spectrum (opt. efficiency / power): 55-125 crank turns per minute

Unlike a rear hub motor, the bike in which the Fazua (or any) mid drive system is installed allows the motor/gearbox speed to be kept in the best power output range by use of the bike's own gears.

If you want to be able to get the motor to work well even at very low climbing speeds, for example, you can fit your bike with a gear range having a bottom/low gear of 1:1 or less. Even 60rpm in that gear (which will have you going at a very low road speed) will still enable the motor to work at it's optimum torque output for whatever power-assist level you set it at.

The power-assist levels can be chosen from the three "standard" Fazua factory settings (breeze, river, rocket) but the software allows you to tweak those power-assist profiles in all sorts of ways, to make, save and insert (to the motor) whatever kinds of assistance profiles you want up to the maximum (250 watts continuous or even 15 seconds of 350 watts). The way the assist-power is delivered can be set to match your own power outputs and requirements for gradual or much quicker ramp up and down of the assistance.

Fazua bikes are mosly quite light - a good 5 or 6 kilos less than that Giant and up to 15 kilos less than the bosch-equiped Panzerbikes. As you noticed, you can also take out the motor.battery and put in a "blank" to reduce the bike weight by 3 kilos. making an ordinary unassisted bike.

There are some less expensive Fazua eqipped bikes. The most well-known is the Boardmans:

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/bikes/e-bikes/

which look like a price match to many of the rear hub motored bikes. Vitus (Wiggle) also do a couple of aluminium-framed Fazua bikes that are probably better-made than the Boardmans and currently have 25% off:

https://www.wiggle.com/search?query=Vitus%20e-bike

Personally I like the lighter weight of Fazua bikes and the ability to do without the motor/battery when wanting to suffer a bit. In practice I get around 150km and 2000 metres of ascent out of a single charge; but I often switch off the motor and generally use only the +80 watts setting up long and/or steep hills.

The ladywife gets about 70km and the same ascent from a single charge, as she uses the +140 watt setting on steeper ascents, with the occasional +200 watts for the 'orrible ones. Our average speed for a ride varies between around 20 - 27 kph depending on the route, weather, how much we chatter to each other and how much cake we eat.  1

0 likes

Cugel wrote:

AndyIT wrote:

(snip) Maybe I just need to avoid hub motors as they won't provide sufficient torque. I am partly drawn to the Giant as I have seen one at a good price significantly less than the Fazua systems (though being able to remove the system altogether is a nice feature of the Fazua systems).(snip).  

Here are two url to Fazua pages describing aspects of the Fazua Evation software that allows you to set various power assist parameters to match your own power output, cadence and required "feel" from the motor asistance.

https://fazua.com/en/support/help-center/ride-50-firmware/general/

https://fazua.com/en/support/help-center/ride-50-firmware/maximum-vs-min...

Some figures extracted from the above:

Torque max: FAZUA RIDE 50 EVATION - 55 Nm | FAZUA RIDE 50 TRAIL/STREET 58 Nm
Power max.: FAZUA EVATION - 300 W (mechanical) | FAZUA RIDE 50 TRAIL/STREET - 350 W (mechanical)
Cadence spectrum (opt. efficiency / power): 55-125 crank turns per minute

Unlike a rear hub motor, the bike in which the Fazua (or any) mid drive system is installed allows the motor/gearbox speed to be kept in the best power output range by use of the bike's own gears.

If you want to be able to get the motor to work well even at very low climbing speeds, for example, you can fit your bike with a gear range having a bottom/low gear of 1:1 or less. Even 60rpm in that gear (which will have you going at a very low road speed) will still enable the motor to work at it's optimum torque output for whatever power-assist level you set it at.

The power-assist levels can be chosen from the three "standard" Fazua factory settings (breeze, river, rocket) but the software allows you to tweak those power-assist profiles in all sorts of ways, to make, save and insert (to the motor) whatever kinds of assistance profiles you want up to the maximum (250 watts continuous or even 15 seconds of 350 watts). The way the assist-power is delivered can be set to match your own power outputs and requirements for gradual or much quicker ramp up and down of the assistance.

Fazua bikes are mosly quite light - a good 5 or 6 kilos less than that Giant and up to 15 kilos less than the bosch-equiped Panzerbikes. As you noticed, you can also take out the motor.battery and put in a "blank" to reduce the bike weight by 3 kilos. making an ordinary unassisted bike.

There are some less expensive Fazua eqipped bikes. The most well-known is the Boardmans:

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/bikes/e-bikes/

which look like a price match to many of the rear hub motored bikes. Vitus (Wiggle) also do a couple of aluminium-framed Fazua bikes that are probably better-made than the Boardmans and currently have 25% off:

https://www.wiggle.com/search?query=Vitus%20e-bike

Personally I like the lighter weight of Fazua bikes and the ability to do without the motor/battery when wanting to suffer a bit. In practice I get around 150km and 2000 metres of ascent out of a single charge; but I often switch off the motor and generally use only the +80 watts setting up long and/or steep hills.

The ladywife gets about 70km and the same ascent from a single charge, as she uses the +140 watt setting on steeper ascents, with the occasional +200 watts for the 'orrible ones. Our average speed for a ride varies between around 20 - 27 kph depending on the route, weather, how much we chatter to each other and how much cake we eat.  1

Many thanks for the info/insiights. I have already have a good road bike so the ability to remove the battery does'nt really give me that much though I can see it's more convienent. 

I have discounted Hub motors; if I could try a Fazua system up a hill I would be able to see if it would work for me right now. The more powerful motors are lower risk (I know they will have enought power) but likley to be hard work on slight inclines. 

Tom_77 | 10 months ago
2 likes

In the UK 250w is the maximum power for an eBike, anything more than that would be classed as a motorcycle or moped. You might have got mixed up between motor power (W) and battery capacity (Wh)?

If you've never ridden an eBike your best bet would be to go to a shop and try a few different ones.

AndyIT replied to Tom_77 | 10 months ago
0 likes

Tom_77 wrote:

In the UK 250w is the maximum power for an eBike, anything more than that would be classed as a motorcycle or moped. You might have got mixed up between motor power (W) and battery capacity (Wh)?

If you've never ridden an eBike your best bet would be to go to a shop and try a few different ones.

Thanks Tom; yes the Giant has a 500w battery not motor. However I don't think the actual output is actually properly checked but Giant use the bosch motor which has much greater torque than the other motors. 

Ideally I would try out bikes but that's very very hard to do (can't find them locally and doubt they would allow a reasonsable test drive) so might just need to just take an educated guess.  

Rendel Harris replied to AndyIT | 10 months ago
1 like

AndyIT wrote:

Ideally I would try out bikes but that's very very hard to do (can't find them locally and doubt they would allow a reasonsable test drive) so might just need to just take an educated guess.  

Not suggesting you would necessarily buy from them but if you want to try out an electric bike for a good period Halfords allow you to take a six hour test ride for £101 returnable deposit, see this page.

AndyIT replied to Rendel Harris | 10 months ago
1 like

Rendel Harris wrote:

AndyIT wrote:

Not suggesting you would necessarily buy from them but if you want to try out an electric bike for a good period Halfords allow you to take a six hour test ride for £101 returnable deposit, see this page.

Thanks that's definitely worth considering.

mark1a replied to Tom_77 | 10 months ago
0 likes

Tom_77 wrote:

I don't think that's quite true, my MTB has a peak power of 565W and torque of 90Nm and is completely legal, the 250W limit is continuous or nominal rated power, that is average over a period of time. Many e-bikes have a peak greater than that. 

Other than that, I agree, go to a shop and try them out. The place where I bought my MTB from had an open day in the Purbecks, and sent people out on a 20 min loop in the dunes in exchange for photo ID. 

Sriracha replied to mark1a | 10 months ago
0 likes

The limit being "250W continuous rated power" seems to be highly open to interpretation. It is in the nature of ebikes that the motor power output is intermittent - you're often coasting or just ticking along, the duty cycle is well below 100%. So whilst the continuous rated limit might be 250W, it seems there is no limit to peak power over a limited, but nevertheless useful, period.

Latest Comments