Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Operation Journey - Police provide bikecams to cyclists free of charge

Humberside and Lincs Police have received funding from the DfT to purchase 100 dash/bike cameras to hand out to regular road users for the purpose of increasing submissions to OpSnap:

"We will offer vulnerable cyclists the possibility of providing free-of-charge to them a cycle camera. There will similarly be an application process to ensure we focus on the most dangerous roads for cyclists in our policing area. We have large numbers of vulnerable road users who contact our office seeking assistance. Cycling groups can be highly vocal, and with good reason when footage provided by them to Operation Snap is viewed. The focus will be on vulnerable cyclists, and we are holding discussions with R-evolution around how we can potentially develop a scheme with those who regularly use the road network and are willing to download cycle cam footage on a regular basis where they identify inappropriate behaviour by other road users.

The objective of both proposals (a) and (b) is to increase the amount of video footage sent to Operation Snap showing inappropriate driving and cycling behaviour and raise convictions."

https://www.humberside-pcc.gov.uk/Document-Library/Transparency/Decision...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

NotNigel | 1 month ago
2 likes
kinderje replied to NotNigel | 1 month ago
2 likes

Interesting that the article states that the cameras are for motorists and cyclists (150 dashcams were given out in the first wave of this initiative).

So if it's a war on the motorist are the dashcams for turncoats or traitors? 

The comments are depressingly obvious though, but with only a few targetted at cyclists. Most are commenting about 'grassing up'

Oldfatgit | 1 month ago
4 likes

And in Scotland ....
The sound of appalling driving gets louder, while the Police continue to be deaf to the pleas of those they are supposed to protect.

hawkinspeter | 1 month ago
5 likes

I'm not convinced that it's the roads that are dangerous - if so, then maybe they need to be re-designed. It's more likely to be roads with dangerous drivers using them.

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 1 month ago
8 likes

More I think about it, it's the cameras that are the problem. Ditch the speed cameras, the ones policing bus gates and LTN entrances, dash cams, ANPR stuff - heck CCTV too - I bet the figures would show an immediate drop in road crime.

IanGlasgow replied to chrisonabike | 1 month ago
3 likes

chrisonabike wrote:

More I think about it, it's the cameras that are the problem. Ditch the speed cameras, the ones policing bus gates and LTN entrances, dash cams, ANPR stuff - heck CCTV too - I bet the figures would show an immediate drop in road crime.

I see what you did there

john_smith replied to chrisonabike | 1 month ago
2 likes

Easier just to ditch laws which get in the way of hardworking drivers going about their business.

NotNigel | 1 month ago
4 likes

I can't wait for HullLive to run a story on this.

What do they class as 'vulnerable cyclist'? Isn't everyone who rides on the roads vulnerable?

mark1a | 1 month ago
12 likes

I wonder if the team handing out the cameras realise that their colleagues processing the submissions will be doing sod all about them?

stonojnr replied to mark1a | 1 month ago
5 likes

They did it in Suffolk, gave a handful to some local cycling clubs, and yes it was the same team who processed the submissions who gave them out, the idea was on club rides the ride leader would always have a camera and submit any evidence they captured.

Thing is I've not heard a single thing about it since, no stats about how many clips they've submitted, how many prosecutions it led to, how useful its been or anything, it went completely silent and it was couple years back now.

Bungle_52 replied to stonojnr | 1 month ago
4 likes

Interesting article on West Mercia's responses. Apparently they have given grants for cameras to a cycle group in Worcester. Two driving courses for two close passes.

https://bikeworcester.org.uk/2024/01/a-tale-of-two-reported-drivers/

Bungle_52 replied to mark1a | 1 month ago
4 likes

mark1a wrote:

I wonder if the team handing out the cameras realise that their colleagues processing the submissions will be doing sod all about them?

Glimmer of hope that this may not be the case. It seems the force is one of the few that have pushed through a dangerous driving conviction rather than accepting a guilty plea for careless.

https://road.cc/content/news/speeding-driver-who-killed-cyclist-jailed-f...

don simon fbpe | 1 month ago
8 likes

This will upset the right people.

David9694 replied to don simon fbpe | 1 month ago
4 likes

PICTURE: Keen cyclist Michael van Earp receiving his camera from Sgt Stoggins of Humberside and Lincolnshire police

HoarseMann replied to David9694 | 1 month ago
5 likes

David9694 wrote:

PICTURE: Keen cyclist Michael van Earp receiving his camera from Sgt Stoggins of Humberside and Lincolnshire police

I like how they balanced it out with this sentence (although we all know in reality the illegal behaviour is very unbalanced between modes of transport):

"video footage sent to Operation Snap showing inappropriate driving and cycling behaviour and raise convictions."

Perhaps in this picture, we could have Rishi in the background framing this as an initiative to clamp down on illegal cycling, but any illegal driving captured would also be considered for prosecution. Fair's fair and all that.

Latest Comments