Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

National Trust and Cycling

For those who are not part of Restore Trust, the current NT magazine has a nice cycling piece from a staff member who decided to visit every NT property by bike - and cycled over 5000 miles doing so - on a borrowed bike.😵‍💫

It calls out the poor cycling provision and he rated each property.

A positive piece and not too many triggers for the sensitive souls here.

Cover picture below.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

mattw | 3 months ago
2 likes

It's a very good article, and judging by the extensive section on the NT website, I'd say they are making efforts in the area of sustainable travel.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sustainable-travel/

Though it is *very* patchy, and obviously needs a decade or more of serious focus, and there's a blind spot wrt disabled accessibility.

The piccie below is the Cycle Parking at my local NT big property, Hardwick Hall. They have approx 700+ parking spaces (plenty of blue badge), and 4 cycle parking stands (ie 8 spaces).

The cycle parking is weak because it is made like a wooden fence (ie can be cut in 30 seconds with a pruning saw), is outside the entry pay-gate (so publicly accessible), is hidden down the side of the pay booth, is approached by a gravel path, and has an above ground wooden ground-framework. 

And it's like a hitching rail from Redwood Gulch in a John Wayne film.

But I think the biggest potential issue will be skiddy surfaces on paths.

It's going to need vociferous local activism to get things progressed, as ever. I suggest the key question will be about asking why cyclists and walkers and underrepresented amongst their visitors, and what they will gain by laying out a welcome mat.

IanMSpencer | 3 months ago
4 likes

Cover

Latest Comments