Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Full mudguard recommendations for downward facing fork mounts

Hi all

I am looking for some full mudguards (preferably metal) for my winterised gravel bike, which has mudguard mounts in the bottom of the fork, facing downwards.  I need at least 35mm tyre clearance.  They will be staying on, so I don't need to worry about ease of fitting / removal when they're on.  Any recommendations for a mudguard set or appropriate fittings?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Hirsute | 1 month ago
1 like

I can't get my mudguards off as the 2mm gromit is stuck. I took them back to the shop who fitted them but they couldn't remove it either.

So use anti seize and remove the gromits regularly as you never know when you might want to remove the mudguards.

mrml | 1 month ago
0 likes

Thank you all for your comments on this. 

I can see how I can use the P-clip style fixing (which is different to my existing guards) and will check out the recommended links.  

OnYerBike | 1 month ago
1 like

For a permanenently mounted mudguard set, I would be inclined to suggest a good pair of metal mudguards - the ones levestane has listed are good, or add PDW to the list. You can then simply drill the mudguard in the appropriate place to attach it directly to the mount. This photo shows a rear mudguard, but the principal would be the same under the fork: https://flic.kr/p/2pziudS

The other option would be to use an L-bracket to connect from the fork mount to a forwards (or rewards) facing mount, which would then work with the vast majority of muduards on the market. This one seems designed specifically for the job, but you might find other suitable options: https://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-single-hole-l-bracket/

mrml replied to OnYerBike | 1 month ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies folks.  I wasn't very clear in my original post, sorry. 

The problem is the fixings for the stays at the fork tips.  The fork (a 2016 Jamis Renegade Expert) has hidden mounts in the fork tips.  They are longitudinally drilled threaded bores in the fork tips sized to take a standard bolt.  They are aligned with the fork itself, and therefore are at 90 degrees to the "typical" side facing stay fixing points.   

I have tried these, but they are bit crap.  I am replacing the mudguards and was hoping for a neater / better solution.  

andystow replied to mrml | 1 month ago
1 like

Are they here, where the arrow is pointing? If so, I would use any of the mudguard sets that levestane lists, just rotate the P clips to fit under there. Then do some careful bending of the stays to clear the dropout.

OnYerBike replied to mrml | 1 month ago
2 likes
Dnnnnnn | 1 month ago
2 likes

Could you post a pic of the mounts, please?

Latest Comments