Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fitting Garmin Cannondale Varia Rear View Radar Unit

I have seen a very cheap Garmin Cannondale Varia Rear View Radar Unit and wondered whether it could be fitted to a non Cannondale smart sense bike while being run off a power bank, not the official and expensive Cannondale battery. It would be used in conjunction with a Garmin 130.

appreciate any tech help with this.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Creakingcrank | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have done exactly what you describe, presumably with parts from the same  retailer. Mine went on my ebike. 

Short answer: Not as you hope. The Cannondale version of the radar does not have the Bluetooth/ANT radio parts in it - they are in the (expensive) battery cradle, so it would not communicate with your head unit.

You can use a wired connection to the Cannondale/garmin radar display unit (also selling for cheap on the same site). mine works perfectly as a visual indicator, but does not beep.

It requires some DIY wiring to add power (I think the unit will cope with anything from 4 to 12V - mine is wired into my ebike 12v lighting circuit) and to connect the 2 CANbus wires between the head unit and the radar.

bikercat replied to Creakingcrank | 1 year ago
0 likes

Mnay thanks for the very full explaination, Creakingcrank, will give it a go.

avogrin replied to Creakingcrank | 1 month ago
0 likes

Hi, could you share the pinout of the connectors or wire meanings? I will try to wire the Higo-B6-MQ connector. Thanks.

Creakingcrank replied to avogrin | 1 month ago
0 likes

I'm not sure of the pinouts, but assuming the wiring colours on those Higo connectors are standard (it certainly seemed logical on the ones I bought), it is:

Red: voltage + (4-12v)
Black: ground
Yellow/blue: CAN high/CAN low (not sure which is which, just wire same to same)

I tested mine with a 9v battery on the display unit - connect to the correct power wires and the light on the unit comes on. The two wires you haven't used are the CANbus.

avogrin replied to Creakingcrank | 1 month ago
0 likes

Thanks!

Latest Comments