Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Failing Paint On Brand New Canyon Endurace

Firstly I just want to call out that this is my first post on here (so I understand how some might perceive this initial negative post which might be seen as company bashing). I assure you I have no agenda other than wishing to get this situation resolved.

To give a little background on this - after much deliberation I pushed the button on a new Canyon Endurace which was delivered on Monday. I spent the day carefully assembling the bike and actually read their manual back to back to ensure I was following all instructions as per their guidance. After completing the assembly of the bike, using my fingers I very carefully removed the large orange sticker on the down tube that says words to the effect of ‘read the manual first’. To my horror when I turned the sticker over it became apparent that a sizeable slither of the frame’s carbon coloured paint was removed with the sticker itself. While I completely understand that bike decals are not to be interfered with, bright orange information stickers on the surface of the frame are a different matter entirely. I want to stress how slowly and carefully I removed this sticker (my wife even watched my and remarked how carful I was being). It is worth saying that the paint is left with ragged raised lips around where is came off resulting in an area that is susceptible to further peeling.

As you can image I am kinda distraught about this. A brand new bike of this level of specification and price should not have a paint job that is so inherently weak. I have worked in a bike shop for 4 years and have never seen paint fail in this way.

So I contacted Canyon via their website straight away. Just now I received the response from them saying that the stickers are not meant to be removed and essentially my action in doing so has damaged the bike. They offered to send me a sticker to cover up the peeling paint.

My points of contention here:

- There is nothing in the manual about not removing stickers from the bike
- This is clearly an issue with the quality of the paint - it is concerning that an informational sticker manages to damage the paint so easily and destructively
- The sticker in question is a reminder to read the manual before use and is not part of the advertised livery of the bicycle - nowhere in any product representations is this sticker present.
- If this sticker is a permanent fixture of the bicycle then it should be made explicitly clear on the sticker itself that it should not be removed. While I completely understand that bike decals are not to be interfered with, bright orange information stickers on the surface of the frame are a different matter entirely. 

To be honest I am totally disappointed and worried about their response and I am really not sure about what to do next. I have replied to customer service and I totally understand that they are busy because of covid etc but this is quite concerning. I bought a Canyon partly because of their reputation in the area of customer service!

Do any of you have any thoughts about where I stand here or have any of you experienced anything similar with Canyon?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Jorgan | 8 months ago
1 like

It's not just you.  I had an Endurace CF SLX frame replaced inside the 2-year warranty, because the paint started bubbling below a cable port on the downtube.  Service was very good to be fair.  However, the same has started happening again in the exact same place on this replacement frame after a few years. Unfortunately out of warranty now.  Originally purchased in 2017, replacement in 2019. 

Cannoli | 3 years ago
2 likes

(This is my first post here at road.cc. I created an account just to reply to this thread, but I'm glad to hear you have things sorted with Canyon.)

I recently purchased two Canyon's, Endurace for my wife and and an Ultimate for myself. That bright orange sticker was the first thing to come off as soon as I had the bikes in the bike stand.  I'm so glad to hear that Caynyon resolved the issue for you. While I haven't had any issues with the bikes to date, so far my customer experience experience with Canyon has been excellent.

As an aside, from the pictures you posted, it is very clear that surface prep wasn't done or was done poorly in the area wherethe paint came off. Out of curosity, did you show this pictue to the first person you talked to at Canyon or was it a phone conversation only? I can't imagine any resonable person could look at that picture and say that it was your fault.

waveedavey replied to Cannoli | 3 years ago
0 likes

The issue was raised via the form on the Canyon site and I attached pictures to support my claim.

pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Canyon tend to be pretty good i've heard of a few frames being replaced out of warranty for cracks and this is well inside warranty and shouldn't really happen.  Where are you based?  They have a UK service centre in Leatherhead from what i've heard if you have to send the bike in it can take a while but if you take it in they agree to the issue and then order the bits in but you can keep riding it until they are ready to do the swap.  Not sure how they are handling things at the moment with Covid. 

waveedavey replied to pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I am UK based so hopefully the Leatherhead Service Centre might be able to help.  So surprised that they have not accepted liability and have offered to send me a sticker to place over the flaking paint.  TBH I really expected more from Canyon on this, but lets see how this plays out.

nniff | 3 years ago
0 likes

Personally, I'd be livid.  A 'read the manual' sticker does not have a permanent place on a bike.  Regardless, the paint should adhere more strongly to the frame than a sticker should bond to paint.  Next time though, heat stickers gently with a hair drier before removal - those grim stickers on wheels, for example.  Wheels are black or silver, not blotchy.

waveedavey replied to nniff | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good call on the hairdryer tip  

To be honest I am livid but I'm trying to keep a lid on it as I know being angry won't help things for me right now. Here is a picture of the lifted paint for context  

Let's just say I'm really hoping Canyon come good on this one.

perfect1964 replied to waveedavey | 3 years ago
2 likes

You're protected by the distance selling regulations but also consumer rights act. If you paid by credit card you can also hold them liable. 

check the Which website but also the moneysavingexpert website for info and template letters. The legal framework is not complicated and you should get a full refund or replacement 

waveedavey replied to perfect1964 | 3 years ago
9 likes

***UPDATE*** I am Very happy to say that Dave from Canyon UK Service Centre has just called to say they are going to sort me out. I am able to carry on riding the current bike until a new frame is delivered to their leatherhead Service Centre which will then be swapped out after it has arrived. This is an excellent result in the end - so thanks Canyon for coming good in the end!😀🚴‍♂️.

Sriracha replied to waveedavey | 3 years ago
0 likes

In fact that is no more than what should be expected. Of course you are elated since you are seeing it from the point of total despair. But consider that a less determined and confident person could have been left with just a sticker to cover up the defect.

Canyon need to root out whatever it is that led to their preferred initial response, because statutory rights should be honoured for all customers, not just the assertive confident ones.

Latest Comments