Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Esoterica of torque tools

Here's an interesting article about torque wrenches and their calibration, from another cycling website. 

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/how-accurate-is-a-well-used-torque-...

It's quite a long article so Mark1a can "stop reading" now. There's no twittering one liner to sum it all up so 'e'll just have to stay higorant.  1

Myself, I was surprised to find that even highly used and sometimes abused torque wrenches don't go that much out of kilter.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

chrisonabike | 9 months ago
3 likes

Cugel wrote:

Here's an interesting article about torque wrenches and their calibration...

What's the twist?

Cugel replied to chrisonabike | 9 months ago
0 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

Cugel wrote:

Here's an interesting article about torque wrenches and their calibration...

What's the twist?

It's: that wrist action that can work a torque wrench to avoid stem-snap or similar; a mental transformation that can distort the meaning of a string of words into something one would prefer to read rather than wot wuz writ; or an intimate personal action producing a paroxym of pleasure from one's "spot" whilst gazing with lust & abject admiration at a picture of Mrs Thatcher in full handbag and hairspray, sneering & snarling at an uppity peasant anxious about being homeless and starving.

It was also a dance in the olden days, when I were a bairn unable to appreciate how daft it made a fellow look when doing it.

I did hear that you can get bottles of wine from which a cheap metal cap is twisted off rather than having to perform the proper ritual with cork & extractor tool (preferably a Campag one). Some have a knack with champagne bottles obviating the need for the tool, although you can put the best man's eye out if you're incautious with your twisting. 

mark1a | 9 months ago
2 likes

Bore off. 

Cugel replied to mark1a | 9 months ago
0 likes

mark1a wrote:

Bore off. 

Cheep cheep cheep.

Latest Comments