Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is the Daily Mail becoming bike friendly?

The following appeared in my news feed today and I was quite surprised by the article . . .

"I'm a cyclist... and these are the 14 road users that scare me the least and the most on my London commute (and my helmet camera has caught some of the most hair-raising moments)

Ted Thornhill has clocked up around 1,000 pedal-powered London commutes
He says he's addicted to cycling in the capital despite hair-raising moments"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12202037/Im-cyclist-14-road-u...

And in other news, yesterday the Wirral Globe broke an exciting story about changes to the Highway Code and the new ‘hierarchy of road users’. Good to see they have their finger on the pulse.

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/23593822.highway-code-changes-allow-c...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

HoarseMann | 10 months ago
1 like
Fignon's ghost | 10 months ago
3 likes

Read the DM. I would never stoop so low. It is a montage of pure ignorance. Any sensible journo knows that.

Rendel Harris | 10 months ago
3 likes

Beware the smile of the tiger...a cynical man (me) would suggest that they are planning to campaign even harder against cyclists and cycling infrastructure so they are throwing in a few pro-cycling articles to use as a defence against anyone who claims their coverage is biased.

wtjs | 10 months ago
7 likes

I have no intention of voluntarily reading anything in the hyper-junk press flagship, and this resolve was reinforced by the re-employment of the loathsome, lying, barred crook Johnson.

PRSboy | 10 months ago
6 likes

I read that article and was impressed by it.  Luckily it was the paper version (came free with the shopping before anyone casts aspersions) so I was spared the temptation of reading the reader comments.

NOtotheEU replied to PRSboy | 10 months ago
4 likes

You missed the highlights video then, but you are right about the comments. My favourite was ". . . . can't overtake these latex wearing creeps . . . . sick of having to give these portable condoms an entire cars space" 

chrisonabike replied to NOtotheEU | 10 months ago
4 likes

NOtotheEU wrote:

You missed the highlights video then, but you are right about the comments. My favourite was ". . . . can't overtake these latex wearing creeps . . . . sick of having to give these portable condoms an entire cars space" 

Perhaps the cyclist was running himself tubeless?

HoldingOn | 10 months ago
2 likes

The article(s) might be, but the readers/comments definitely aren't!

HoarseMann | 11 months ago
6 likes

Carlton Reid has been doing some great subversive work recently and has managed to slip 29 positive cycling articles into the DM so far...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?offset=0&size=50&sel=site&s...

As for the Wirral, doesn't Sir Chris Boardman live there? You'd think the local rag would be better informed!

Eton Rifle replied to HoarseMann | 10 months ago
2 likes

Carton is great. Follow him on twitter.

Latest Comments