Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

CTT participation increase

I read on yesterday (30th jan 2024) live blog that the CTT has seen a 42% participation increase in 2023 thanks to the introduction of the Road Bike category. This news was surprising but welcome, and shows that the TT scene in the UK still has hope for the future. There are still a lot of challenges that the CTT and affiliated clubs face, but if Time Trialling's popularity continues to grow thanks to being more accessible then it makes some other challenges easier. The more people willing to take part regularly, the more organisers can do to keep courses running, improve safety, better liasons with local authorities etc. The road bike category is not quite a carbon copy of the UCI road bike regulations, however there are a lot of similarities that make it accessible and means the playing field is not so disparate. The difference between a £500 Claris equipped aluminium bike and the top spec aero race weapon is much smaller than that of a top line road bike and a TT thoroughbred. And generally speaking, cheaper road bikes will almost always be CTT Road Bike category legal. In 2021 and 2022 I dipped my toe into TT racing by doing 2 events in both years. However in 2023 I took part in 8 CTT sanctioned events and I have even more planned this year. There are avenues for new prospective riders to take part and for those who want to test themselves, I want to give a little advice and encouragement for anyone who is thinking of trying out the discipline, or has an untapped competitive edge. The CTT have a pade on their website dedicated to new competitors: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/28 -For Insurance purposes you must be a member of a CTT affiliated cycling club. Most local clubs who run events are affiliated, but some modern clubs may not. There is one exception, however; some clubs will run a "Come and Try It" event, where insurance will be covered regardless of club membership. - Do a little research and choose your event wisely. Stick to a "Club" event where you will only need to pay £4 to £8 for your race fee, and choose a course that runs on smaller roads which will not be as busy. Races happen on evenings and weekends where traffic will be reduced and those courses will feel much more safer than a course on a Dual Carriageway. In terms of race distance, 10 miles or shorter is probably the best start, too. Some of the safest courses are sometimes used for "come and try it" events as mentioned above, so bear that in to consideration. - Your course layout will have marshal points at turnings to both instruct you of which direction to take, and to ensure your safety whilst navigating them. The regional committees are working to ensure that GPX files for all courses are up to date and published, which can be found on the CTT website, should you wish to use a head unit to assist navigation too. - Do not be intimidated by other riders. First and foremost, there will be riders of similar abilities to yourself alongside riders who race Cats A and B, so don't set a target time for your first event. Those riders will have their own expectations based on their own experience. Your first result will be your own benchmark that you can use as a metric for your own performance. - If you are not entirely comfortable riding or racing in a bunch, then Time Trialling is an excellent discipline that doesn't involve that environment. - Make sure your bike is roadworthy. I know it's cliched but none of the organisers like retrieving competitors stranded following a ride ending mechanical. - Preparation is key. Don't do any long or hard riding on the few days leading up to the event. Specific training is not necessary however you can implement a few practices whilst riding to get used to the higher intensity of a race event. Food wise, don't load up heavy before your event but make sure you are sufficiently fueled and hydrated. -Don't be afraid to talk to organisers or other competitors during sign-on, this will help you feel more comfortable in the environment and may help you get a feel for the course and event. If you are more relaxed at the start and as you warm up, you will be in a better mental state to get the most out of yourself. -If you have a ride buddy who also is interested, encourage to try the same event. This will also help you feel at ease, and give you an additional incentive to join in. - Despite being a solo effort Time Trialling can be extremely enjoyable. However, if you struggle to keep focus, try mental exercises to ensure you hold a fast but sustainable effort.

I would ask any Road.CC readers who partake in the UK TT scene to give their experiences and what they enjoy about TT the most.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Simon E | 3 months ago
3 likes

"For Insurance purposes you must be a member of a CTT affiliated cycling club."

This only applies to Type A (aka Open) events. Register and enter online at https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk

For Type B (club) events - the typical evening 10 miler - you don't need to be a member of anything. All the clubs I know will be very happy to see new faces so 'come and try it' is the default. It's a friendly scene where support and encouragement are provided equally to the speedsters and the lanterne rouge. While the TT itself is a solo event the before and after are very sociable. Everyone from 12 years upwards is equally welcome, there is no upper age limit.

"Make sure your bike is roadworthy. "

Yes, this is the only real stipulation regarding your bike - 'run wot ya brung' is the ideal way to begin TTing. Having a mechanical failure part way through is so disappointing, try not to let it happen to you. A working front & rear light and a helmet are compulsory in all events now, including Hill Climbs - a niche which has seen an increase in recent years. Most HCs are run from late August to the end of October but some clubs run them at other times too, Macclesfield Wheelers' Hill Climb Project being a great example - https://hillclimbproject.co.uk/

"Specific training is not necessary however you can implement a few practices whilst riding to get used to the higher intensity of a race event."

The sustained intensity of a short TT can be a bit of a surprise if you don't do interval training but don't worry - doing the TT is great training. Just set your first PB then come back the following week and try to beat it. The main thing to remember is not to go off to hard for the first minute or two; otherwise you'll be like me in my first few club 10s - setting off too fast and feeling like absolute sh*t after just 3 or 4 miles.

My favourite events are where I can ride out, do my race, have a good chat then ride home. Perfect. smiley

Latest Comments