Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike stolen from Avanti West Coast train - L'pool-Euston - Cervelo R5

We had a Cervelo R5 2020 in Sunweb Red livery (red/pink, white and black) stolen from the guards van on a pendolino journey with Avanti WC last Sunday 17 September 2023. The thief almost certainly got on the train at Runcorn with a shitty hybrid, and got off at Crewe with our bike. We found the hybrid at Euston.

A low res picture is here: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/selectamark.mothership/BikeRegister/bikes/thumb/1044267-1616936204.jpg

Details including frame number are on BikeRegister: https://www.bikeregister.com/stolen-bikes/cervelo-r5-2020-11d57056

The bike had Chris King hubs and Ultegra D8000 groupset. It also had a "Chad Haga" sticker on the top tube near the seat post.

It's pretty distinctive so it may be easy to spot. BTP are on the case, there should be plenty of CCTV and there may be fingerprints/DNA on the shitty bike he ('cos I be it was a he!) abandoned. We're alerting bike clubs in Cheshire but we'd be grateful to anyone who can spread the word. It was not a good start to my son's University year.

It's a sad day.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Flâneur | 7 months ago
1 like

Sad news, hope you get it back. The Avanti set up is pretty rubbish. Non-vertical storage so unless on first or second, can't lock the bike to anything in case bikes behind need off first. Bikes hidden in a non-visible compartment from the passenger sections of the train so you can't see what scrotes like yours are getting up to.

What's the point of the 2 cycle tickets that get printed or need to be printed at home if staff aren't going to check they match?

leedorney | 7 months ago
0 likes

An R5 is quite a looker, very distinguishable! - keep your eyes peeled all you Cheshire cyclists 🙏

Ride On | 7 months ago
8 likes

Hope you get it back.

SellaTheChemist replied to Ride On | 7 months ago
7 likes

Ride On wrote:

Hope you get it back.

Thank you - it's been spotted in Cheshire… fingers crossed.

leedorney replied to SellaTheChemist | 7 months ago
0 likes

Where abouts, Cheshire's a big county...

SellaTheChemist replied to leedorney | 7 months ago
2 likes

Crewe - someone has also spotted an ad on Facebook marketplace so we have the name of the seller and have worked out his address from online stuff. Police know about this - let's just hope they have the resources to act. But that brilliant austerity plan that cut every public service to the bone may stymie even something that looks as straightforward as this.

Left_is_for_Losers replied to SellaTheChemist | 7 months ago
0 likes

All the best in getting it back, I'll be keeping an eye out down my way. 

SellaTheChemist replied to Left_is_for_Losers | 7 months ago
2 likes

Thank you. I really appreciate it. The bike is very distinctive so I'm hoping this can be resolved quickly.

Latest Comments