Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best value clothing and lights

Hi all . Looking to basically start again need all new cycling clothing. Tldr best value budget clothing dhb decathlon or other?
I have 6-8 mile each way commute 30-45 mins cycle mix of off road rough tarmac through shared space NCN parks etc and a bit of road. I work as a postie from a depo that has locker room and if needed showering facilities which nowadays I don't bother with, just a quick change into uniform.
I can't decide whether to go casual/gravel/MTB/baggy something like Endura Hunnvies or stay more roadie bibs.
The Hunnvies are about £50 and about as much as I'd like to spend , the other options include dhb bibs or decathlon triban 100/500 and other Endura range bibs and a couple others. What's the best value brand around £50 mark for bibs /shorts and about £30 ISH for a jersey top that'll do for this time of year with unsettled weather. I work shifts leave about 8ish in morning and leave from around 3pm but work overtime sometimes so might be more 5-6pm when I set off.

Also in market for new lights, previous used a Hope set up really good and bright to see by light but separate battery pack with internal routed cabling through the frame,
What's the best value Exposure light to see by? Some sections are unlit off road paths.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

HoldingOn | 9 months ago
0 likes

I very much cycle on a tight budget. I did quite a bit of running, so had a lot of running clothes, that I just repurposed for cycling. I have a few long sleeve fleece tops from Decathlon that are really good. "Kalenji warm long sleeved running t-shirt" the Neon Yellow is good hi-vis. Bit warm for the current hot weather, but great in the cold.
I also got a really cheap pair of lycra running shorts from a random brand called AmzSport - they have lasted quite well. I wear them with an old pair of running shorts, because I don't like feeling exposed in lycra!

For lights, I got a set of Cycleafer bike lights. I find them bright enough for the winter canal path cycling I do. Definitely not as bright as some of the lights recommended on here, but they were sub £20 for front and rear lights. 

ktache | 9 months ago
0 likes

What's up with the Hope?

I don't think you can get a better bracket.

Relatively recently upgraded to an R4+ as I noticed they were no longer supporting the R4 and I have to send some batteries back for wire changes, but I have been running the District+ for almost a decade.

Tom_77 | 9 months ago
2 likes

I have a Cateye AMPP 800 (reviewed here) which I'm very happy with. You should be able to get that for less than £40. Previously I had a AMPP 500 which I didn't think was quite bright enough for unlit country lanes. There's also the AMPP 1100 which is not much more than the 800 and should be a bit brighter.

David9694 replied to Tom_77 | 9 months ago
1 like

Lezyne 1500 XXL Super Drive - nice and bright for dark lanes,  but "rubber" integrated hbar mount doesnt look replaceable and is the wrong mix of easily removable and theft-proof - not one I'd subject to daily on/off wear. 

in country dark, I ran dynohub, Niterider usb (got stolen) and CandBseen battery system (company now defunct, I think). 

David9694 | 9 months ago
0 likes

You've been looking at those pesky Road.cc RRP reviews, haven't you? The Hummvees can be got for less than £50. Even less of you shop around in your size.  

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Endura/Hummvee-Short-with-Liner/ZPFA?s=...

You sound more like you want baggy, rather than aero?  Can't decide if you're worried about money or not - them Exposure lights ain't cheap. 

I was a desk jockey when I commuted, so could safely charge up USB lights at work - can you? It's another faff to remove them for anti-theft purposes. The most reliable  light, if you don't mind/ can internally route wires, is from a dynohub - it doesn't get forgotten, not charged, is rarely stolen.

My Hummvees most be an earlier marque and hopefully they've now fixed the rather rough material that I found irritated the skin above my knee after a time. The detachable liner is very nice, but a faff for the busy commuter.  The longs are brilliant all rounders.

base layers and gloves from Planet X - but stock is variable as ever. Mountain Warehouse are now one of the most accessible High Street sellers with some basic cycling kit.

Latest Comments