Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best replacement for Ultegra 6700 10spd shifter?

Hi,

The right STI shifter on my 10-speed Ultegra bike broke. Not 100% sure, but I think 6700. I'm looking for a suitable replacement. There doesn't appear to be any 10-speed 105 or Ultegra available anymore on retailers I've looked at.

I want a replacement that has the same shifting action as the Ultegra, preferably also with the same Ultegra rear-along-bar cable routing (not the "stick out the side" routing). I.e., I don't want thumb levers. The only 10-speed available seems to be Tiagra 47xx and Tiagra 4600. If I understand correctly, the 47xx 10-speed is not compatible with 6700. While the 4600 has the side-sticky-out cable routing.

Is there any good replacement for a 6700 shifter, that doesn't result in a weird franken-bike, or involve upgrading most of the groupset?

Note: I would replace both shifters if necessary. So any decent 10-speed shifters compatible with 6700-era RDs/FDs I'd love to hear about.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Rendel Harris | 9 months ago
0 likes

Here's a 105 5700 right shifter new on DeporVillage (I've used them to get some hard to find Di2 parts and they were fine), I believe that 105 5700 is "plug-and-play" compatible with Ultegra 6700. Pricey for a single lever but if you don't mind that it fits your requirements.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1342585024153991629?client=safar...

mikewood | 9 months ago
1 like

Doesn't really answer your question directly but there were some 105 R7000 groupsets available not long ago and for not much money you'd get something better than 10sp Ultegra and it would all be new.

Also, worth talking to as many LBS's as possible as they may have one collecting dust. For instance try Red Kite Cycles as they had a huge inventory for service needs when I worked there

Dnnnnnn | 9 months ago
1 like

Maybe not quite the ticket for an Ultegra user but I think Microsoft's R10 levers are compatible with older Shimano 10 speed. Sticky out cables though.

Otherwise ebay and patience. You might get a whole used groupset and be able to sell off the other bits at sufficient price to cover the whole purchase price. Which is satisying.

Any idea what the cause of the break is? They're not easy fixes but if you're struggling to source a replacement...

Paul J replied to Dnnnnnn | 9 months ago
1 like

The shifter won't shift to the upper 5 (or so) indices. Apparently not an uncommon wear related issue in these shifters. I can't remember exactly what it is that breaks or wears that causes this, but I did watch some videos on fixing it and it requires completely disassembling the internal ratcheting mechanism.

It looks pretty fiddly, and I'm pretty sure if I try it I will never get the mechanism back together again.  3

I'd rather sell this shifter to someone who fixes them, for peanuts, and get a new (or refurbished) shifter.

Paul J replied to Dnnnnnn | 9 months ago
1 like

And interesting on the MicroShift R10, thanks.

Looks like those Microshift and Shimano Tiagra ST-R460 are the two options. Both with side-stick-out cable.

Looking on AliExpress, Sensah and L-TWOO have 10-speed shifters. Unfortunately, Sensah are compatible with 5600/6600 Shimano - which of course has a different brake cable pull to 6700. sigh. L-TWOO with Tiagra 4700.

Sigh.

Tom_77 | 9 months ago
3 likes
mark1a replied to David9694 | 9 months ago
2 likes

I see they have the variable indexing and customisable pull ratio. Controlled by supercomputer. 

David9694 replied to mark1a | 9 months ago
1 like

Fully upgradeable to 11s, 12s or to 9 or 8s, single or triple and will be in service long after any indexed system has packed-up. 

levestane replied to mark1a | 9 months ago
1 like

... or biological intelligence rather than artificial

Paul J replied to David9694 | 9 months ago
0 likes

My 70s road bike has these, and it's much easier to get parts for than my 2011 road bike.  2

The freehub on the 70s bike is maybe the hardest thing to get a good replacement for, but still being made.

wtjs replied to Paul J | 9 months ago
0 likes

The freehub on the 70s bike is maybe the hardest thing to get a good replacement for

I think this is a freewheel- they hadn't invented cassettes. Unless, of course, you're talking about a non-original wheel

Paul J replied to wtjs | 9 months ago
1 like

Sorry, yes, freewheel. Screw on block thing.

Cugel | 9 months ago
1 like

There's a few on ebay from time to time (usually 6700 pairs). Also 5700 (105 10-speed) that will work with 6700 mechs. I can't find any new ones in on-line shops, not even SJS Cycles which did have some until recently.

The Tiagra 10-speed levers (perhaps also the GRX) seem to be 10-speed but with a different pull ratio. You could buy those plus a new rear mech to match, perhaps?

David9694 replied to Cugel | 9 months ago
0 likes

Some options on Ebay now.

Paul J replied to Cugel | 9 months ago
0 likes

I had been looking at eBay. My problem with buying used components off eBay - where those components have very fiddly and difficult to service internals (effectively impossible for me) - is that the component I buy could be well on its way to having the same problem as my existing, broken shifter.

I.e., from what I can tell, the problem with my shifter is a fairly common wear related issue with Shimano shifters. The springs or pawls or something (I forget) inside have worn and it can no longer shift to the upper 4 or 5 indexes.

If possible, I'd prefer new shifters, so this problem doesn't happen again for a while.

Paul J replied to Cugel | 9 months ago
0 likes

Tiagra 47xx shifters, RD and FD might be an option. But stock seems to be spotty on retailers like Wiggle.

Another option might be just get a Chinese groupset. Sensah, L-Twoo or somesuch. Might be cheaper. Could even upgrade to 11 speed.

Latest Comments