Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Axon Rides E-Folders - Experiences?

Has anyone ridden any of these? What are your impressions?

They are single speed folders, which seem high quality and are just under £2k retail price - currently on reduction in various places.

Distinctly higher quality than the £900 folders from chain-resellers, but do not have the adaptability or breadth of range of Brompton.

Any comments are welcome.

https://axonrides.com/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mattw | 1 month ago
0 likes

My First Impressions of the Axon Rides Pro:

E-bike first impressions.

Briefly, it is well built, and fine for around town or relatively local areas, or go somewhere else and then be local. Ideal for urban or flattish commutes or errands, or for sticking two in the boot for holidays, capable of roads, trails and tracks except for singletrack or mud, comfortable (good saddle and wide tyres), and a range of ~25 miles. Well-built. Good for eg a 25 mile train journey and cycle back. Nippy.

Battery is in the seat post and can be taken away from the bike. Probably not for >6 foot, or >110kg riders. Luggage needs consideration, but is doable.

Comfortable pottering along at 12-14mph.

Blow by blow Vs an e-Brompton.

- Better brakes (hydraulic disks vs rim brakes).
- Better power delivery point imo (rear wheel hub motor vs front hub motor).
- But not such smooth pickup (torque sensor on pedals vs movement sensor on pedals). - Cautious cut in of power assist as delivered, but can be tweaked to much improve the response from "2 turns later" to "0.25 turns later".
- Single gear at 60 gear inches, which is mid range vs a range of gears. Slightly less flexibility but less maintenance.
- Less flexibility in accessories eg carrying luggage, shopping etc. Things can be done with a little thought and correct products.
- Very easy to fold / unfold say 15s, but not as neatly done as the Brompton wheel-flip.
- 1/3 to 1/4 of e-Brompton money at the sale price (£900 vs from £3000) - a bargain if it meets your requirement. And also a British company.
- Easy handlebar controls for power level (3 levels), lights and a horn.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mp/axon-rides/axon-rides-pro-electric-fold... https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/folding-electric-bikes/ax... (edited)

mattw replied to mattw | 1 month ago
0 likes

Pic 2

mattw | 1 month ago
1 like

It's just arrived.

I'll post my own review !!!

chrisonabike replied to mattw | 1 month ago
1 like

Had a look at the site - they seem to be a mix of good (light weight for ebike - but a 15kg folder...) some interesting but maybe not vital features (single side axles) and questionable (16" wheels).

They have a bit of the look of the Strida for me, hopefully more durable!

mattw replied to chrisonabike | 1 month ago
3 likes

It arrived this morning.

For me it's an alternative to an e-Brompton type device at similar quality for £900 not £3000, where a single-speed plus 3 levels of assist is an acceptable compromise plus less maintenance.

For an example of brand influence, it carries a Brompton-alike tri-logo on the box, . "When I grow up I want to be a Brompton, but my owner is a bargain hunter".

Yesterday I met at the pharmacy a 70 year old very-"Ashfield" bloke who was there on his e-Brompton to collect a prescription. I explained that I was a cheapskake with a Brompton-quality but cheaper single-speeder, and he explained that his e-Brompton was "just under" when I mentioned £3k.

He had come about 3km each way mainly on cycling infra, and explained that he had it for pottering around for errands, social club etc. A nice example of where this society is going.

Latest Comments