Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Attitudes to road casualties

Somewhere, I'm pretty sure I saw it on this site, there was a report of a survey that showed that people took a much more relaxed attitude to people being killed or injured by car drivers than from other causes. But I can't now find it: can anyone help? Please?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
2 likes

A sad case this one. Two killed in a head on collision during an overtake. Yet the coroner highlights potholes in the report, even though there's no mention of potholes having anything to do with the collision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3g5x2gqy8po

Rcartes replied to HoarseMann | 1 year ago
2 likes

Sad indeed, thank you. And the inquest is really strange, the coroner's report said that "the BMW car he was driving overtook a vehicle, crossed to the other side of the road where it collided head-on with an approaching car," but looking at the photo in the piece makes it clear that to overtake you'd have to move over to the opposing lane, and this has nothing to do with whether the road was potholed or not.

chrisonabike replied to Rcartes | 1 year ago
1 like

In the report to prevent future deaths literally states "He overtook a vehicle, crossed to his incorrect side of the road where he collided head on with an approaching car. "

So yeah - the potholes would really appear to be irrelevant.

Still, good of the coroner to note them as a hazard for others in passing and ask them to get fixed.  Maybe he could recommend they put in a cycle path there too!

HoarseMann replied to Rcartes | 1 year ago
1 like

Yep, it seems the potholes are completely unrelated to the collision.

This is an old Roman road, it's very straight and whilst the speed limit is 60mph, speeding is common. It also undulates and there are many blind crests (although I don't think that was an issue here).

I can understand the coroner not wanting to emphasise the misjudgement of the deceased to overtake, but things like a reduced speed limit, double white lines or improved enforcement would surely have greater effect.

perce | 1 year ago
2 likes

About four years ago I won the Guardian Saturday crossword competition.The prize was only a book - can you solve my problems? - but I was chuffed to bits. I think my favourite clue was Dorchester? (12) but that was in the Times. I never won the Times crossword comp, don't do it now cos I don't like the paper very much

Rcartes | 1 year ago
5 likes

Hold the front page! I've found it: it was in the Guardian, and it was about attitudes to the risk of road crashes, and it's here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/17/motonormativity-britons-mo...

With the original paper here:

https://psyarxiv.com/egnmj

chrisonabike replied to Rcartes | 1 year ago
1 like

Slightly off-topic but I'm also interested in *why* we got here - I posted this elsewhere on site too but maybe interesting in this context?  "How cities responded to traffic deaths 100 years ago" - see the "Motordom Fights Back" part.  Also "The invention of jaywalking" which primarily references "Street Rivals" - available freely online.

Latest Comments