Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anti-Cycling Barrier Safari

This is an anti-access barrier from the 2006 Notts Cycle Design Standards.

Does one exist anywhere - it's like something from a 1970s schlock horror movie?

Piccie in reply.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Tom_77 | 9 months ago
4 likes

Tried doing a Google Image Search. Couldn't find that particular barrier, but it did lead me to this example from https://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/cam362im.html

mattw replied to Tom_77 | 9 months ago
4 likes

Like it - an A-Barrier in a cocktail dress.

My favourite dodgy artwork was the now removed "Vlad the Impaler" by Thomas Heatherwick, from Manchester, which started dropping spikes.

It was 184ft high and Manchester received £1.7m compensation from the artist.

Drinfinity replied to mattw | 9 months ago
1 like

I really liked that artwork, but I only ever saw it from a very safe distance!

Tom_77 replied to Drinfinity | 9 months ago
3 likes

Not sure if that's quite what he had in mind...

chrisonabike replied to Tom_77 | 9 months ago
1 like

Dangerous art you say?

Fatal attractions?

Or maybe just an auto-destructive collection?

Where does some UK cycle infra sit in that group?

wycombewheeler replied to mattw | 9 months ago
6 likes

mattw wrote:

L "Vlad the Impaler"

Vlad the Impala

mattw replied to Tom_77 | 9 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for this.

Put it on twitter and it is getting some traction.

It won't fix the issue, but every little helps. 

mattw | 9 months ago
2 likes
brooksby replied to mattw | 9 months ago
1 like

WTAF is that??  That's horrendous.

mattw replied to brooksby | 9 months ago
3 likes

It's featured as a creative cycle speed reduction barrier - presumably by removing teeth. I linked the 2006 Guidance Doc where it features as "what has been done elsewhere".

That is imo the barrier equivalent of the artistic cycle stands at the Scottish Parliament - an animated definition of crap.

The standard is actually good in it's approach for the time, and talks about 'bollards are best', and more restrictive barriers only when there is compelling evidence of a problem, but as ever Councils and Developers went for the cheapest, legal minimum solution that is wanted by Nimbies and the Police. So we have thousands of fvcking A-Barriers, K-Barriers, Kissing Gates, and 1.5m pitch double chicanes.

And - that I do not see other people mentioning  - Pedestrian and Toucan crossings which do not meet legal access standards for wheelchaiirs.

chrisonabike replied to mattw | 9 months ago
1 like

mattw wrote:

That is imo the barrier equivalent of the artistic cycle stands at the Scottish Parliament - an animated definition of crap.

In general I like a bit of novelty in the public space (and these ones indeed).  However what we need in the UK now is functional, standard infra and "street furniture".   Military grade if you will; no thought to "looks good", just the cheapest which will reliably get the job done (most of the existing UK stuff is "too cheap" or plain wrong in some way) so we can build enough to get it everywhere ASAP.

Latest Comments