Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2024 Etape

Does anybody have any advice on doing the etape, but on a budget?
The logistics and costs look horrific tbh.
TIA

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Flâneur | 1 month ago
0 likes

Looks like a difficult one logistically this year. Nice in the summer is not cheap.

I rode to the start in Albertville the year I did it, having got accom on the final climb. All downhill to the start. You could look at staying at a camping or somewhere midway between start and finish, somewhere like St Martin-du-Var. Flat ride to the start, then after the end, back down the Col de la Couillole, la Tinee and the Var to base.

mark1a | 2 months ago
0 likes

Unfortunately, the logistics of this event (assuming you mean l'Ètape du Tour rather than Caledonia or Dales) are always going to be difficult due to the distance between the start & finish.

I'm going to wait until there's another edition that starts & finishes at the same place. I was booked to do the 2020 edition which would have been Nice-Nice. I had that on a fairly low cost budget, DIY rather than a tour operator. I had Eurotunnel return crossings booked, and a cheap campsite just 8km away at Cagnes-sur-Mer, so only travel cost to add to that would have been fuel & tolls. Of course it was postponed in 2020 to 2021, and then cancelled altogether. Thankfully fully refunded tunnel, camping and event entry  

I can't see a non-circular route being easy to arrange logistically, without trusting your bike to the bike transfer service or booking via a tour operator. 

Latest Comments