Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2014 Dura Ace capacity

Just acquired a very lovely 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro SL Dura Ace with an 11-28 rear cassette. I know 28 is the maximum size specified by Shimano for this groupset, but equally I know one can usually easily run a few teeth above the official limit. Just wondering if anyone else has run a 30 or 32 tooth big cog on Dura Ace of this vintage? Any advice much appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Simon E | 10 months ago
2 likes

A 30T cassette will work fine, Shimano are known for their conservative compatibility figures. If there is plenty of adjustment on the b-screw then 32T should be no problem. Here's one bikeradar thread for example.

If that's not the case you could possibly look at adding a Wolf Tooth RoadLink extender.

Rendel Harris replied to Simon E | 10 months ago
1 like

Thanks, tried it with a 30 from another bike and it works fine. From the look of the setup I have my doubts it will cope with a 32 but I have a spare Ultegra long cage I can put on if heading for the really steep stuff. Cheers for the advice.

Simon E replied to Rendel Harris | 10 months ago
1 like

A long cage mech would be the ideal solution. wink If it was me I'd fit it anyway and leave it on there.

Rendel Harris replied to Simon E | 10 months ago
0 likes

Yeah, bit of equipment vanity I must admit to keep a Dura Ace rear to match the rest of the groupset… maybe somebody should sell Dura Ace stickers to go on Ultegra derailleurs...

Dnnnnnn replied to Rendel Harris | 10 months ago
1 like

Rendel Harris wrote:

I have my doubts it will cope with a 32

I've tried an older short cage 105 mech (5500 series, I think) and found this. No problem with 30 but 32 was a sprocket too far. Adjusting the B screw didn't seem to help much - there was just too much chain for the short cage to take up.

Latest Comments