Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

All roads in Bristol set to become 20mph zones 'where possible' under new council

//iowredsquirreltrust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/PLEASE-SLOW-DOWN-Squirrel-Sign.jpeg)

From: https://www.bristolworld.com/news/all-roads-in-bristol-set-to-become-20m...

Quote:

Cllr Tony Dyer, the man almost certain to be the new leader, has insisted that while the party is open to ideas from the other political groups, the Greens were triumphant thanks to their manifesto, so fulfilling its promises must be their priority.

The proposals include a blanket 20mph speed limit, half-price bus travel for young adults, more residents’ parking zones, which would reverse Labour’s policy over the last eight years in power, protections for libraries and council tax benefits, fewer tower blocks, more affordable homes, decarbonisation schemes, active travel, a workplace parking levy and the possibility of a tourist levy, drug consumption rooms and tidal power from the Severn Estuary.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

Bungle_52 | 1 week ago
5 likes

A positive news story regarding 20mph limits. Child survives being hit by car in 20mph zone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1ejpnkvqd5o#msdynttrid=EIJ-WmKF-Frn...

Apologies if this has been on before.

hawkinspeter replied to Bungle_52 | 1 week ago
1 like

Bungle_52 wrote:

A positive news story regarding 20mph limits. Child survives being hit by car in 20mph zone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1ejpnkvqd5o#msdynttrid=EIJ-WmKF-Frn...

Apologies if this has been on before.

Transport Secretary Ken Skates - that sounds like nominative determinism to me.

Meanwhile on Anglesey the greys are invading: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/cnl4nrl5qlro

Eton Rifle | 1 week ago
1 like

As someone living in Wales, brace for collective Gammon meltdown. 🤣🤣🤣

David9694 | 1 week ago
5 likes

as our man of the spot, hawkinspeter, we need a regular digest of gammon tears about this.  Unless you're saying Bristol is a grown up city and Bournemouth is full of man-children. 

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 week ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

as our man of the spot, hawkinspeter, we need a regular digest of gammon tears about this.  Unless you're saying Bristol is a grown up city and Bournemouth is full of man-children. 

I'm sure there'll be plenty of people complaining here too

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
2 likes

Eyes down for a full house:  

First responders, buses and pharmacy deliveries - delayed  

Drivers won't follow it (usually disguised as figures on net change in average road speed)

Exhaust fumes (a) will be made worse at 20 mph (b) are dispersed at 30 mph 

There is no evidence that accidents are reduced (optional: one line quote from a study)

Looking at my speedo/ drivers bored so more dangerous

Spend the money on something else first 

OK outside schools 

Then the childish spite towards others  - cyclists will have to obey it 

Then the conspiracy bollocks 

Rich_cb | 1 week ago
3 likes

A *blanket* 20mph limit?

Careful lad, that's fighting talk round these parts.

Sriracha replied to Rich_cb | 1 week ago
3 likes

I've seldom seen blankets travel faster.

Rich_cb replied to Sriracha | 1 week ago
1 like

Seldom is still too much.

None of us are safe until the blanket menace is slowed down slightly.

chrisonabike replied to Rich_cb | 1 week ago
2 likes

This is a hot topic.

Blankets are apparently not designed to travel at 20 degrees mph or below, so forcing them to go slower isn't very restful and risks waking up the driver sleeper.

Others say there are statistics showing that even just by changing the tog rating limit - without e.g. installing sleeping policemen and beds on either side - they will slow down* somewhat.

But I think it's a cover-up.

* Or duvet?

chrisonabike replied to Sriracha | 1 week ago
1 like

Sriracha wrote:

I've seldom seen blankets travel faster.

Depends how fast your throw is?

hawkinspeter replied to Rich_cb | 1 week ago
5 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

A *blanket* 20mph limit? Careful lad, that's fighting talk round these parts.

'Where possible' though.

A lot of Bristol is congested enough that the limit is irrelevant during the day.

Anyhow, I've got my blanket ready

mark1a | 1 week ago
3 likes

Energy from the Severn - it's always baffled me why one of the highest tidal ranges in the world can't be harnessed for a clean, predictable and reliable source of energy. 

Supervised drug consumption - bring it on, should form part of all harm reduction intervention policies. 

Rendel Harris replied to mark1a | 1 week ago
5 likes

mark1a wrote:

Energy from the Severn - it's always baffled me why one of the highest tidal ranges in the world can't be harnessed for a clean, predictable and reliable source of energy. 

The usual short-termism so prevalent in UK politics: a barrage would produce the power of three nuclear power stations but cost about the price of six to build. However it would last twice as long as a nuclear power station (120 years against 60), cost half as much to run and, obviously, wouldn't have the associated and still unsolved cleanup problems of nuclear. All we need is a government that prioritizes longterm thinking and care for the environment a century down the line above immediate tax-cutting popularity, which should be arriving on the 12th of never.

brooksby replied to mark1a | 1 week ago
2 likes

I think that a Severn Barrage was taken off the table because of the damage it would (might) do to the wetlands along the estuary.

Rendel Harris replied to brooksby | 1 week ago
5 likes

brooksby wrote:

I think that a Severn Barrage was taken off the table because of the damage it would (might) do to the wetlands along the estuary.

That has been cited and I'm sure some plans might have done such damage (people have been talking about it for more than a century) but equally I've seen plans where the creation of a barrage would go alongside the creation of tidal lagoons that would actually provide increased habitat for the bird species in the area. Interested to see, looking it up just now, that the undesirability of relying on Russian energy supplies has rekindled the issue and a Severn Estuary commission has been established to look into the issues.

Simon E replied to brooksby | 1 week ago
2 likes

Are there not other, less harmful ways of harnessing tidal energy? A few years ago there was talk of siting turbines between the Llŷn peninsula and Ynys Enlli / Bardsey island due to the strong tidal currents.

Mind you, politicians don't like modest projects, they want to take the credit for implementing big, macho look-at-me money-guzzlers so everyone can be impressed. And things like micro-generation and community energy are ignored or even dismissed because the city boys in suits and HMRC can't make enough money from it. A recent project for the weir in Shrewsbury on the Severn is an example of something that would work but failed to get support.

OnYerBike replied to Simon E | 1 week ago
2 likes

Tidal turbines have been deployed in numerous locations (albeit as far as I know all relatively small scale deployments). I think the advantage of a barrage is the amount of energy generated - a turbine captures energy from whatever small portion of the water body is flowing through it; a barrage captures the entire water body.

chrisonabike replied to Simon E | 1 week ago
1 like

There are advantages to bigger schemes (scale and efficiency).  Always pros and cons of a particular scale "solution", depending on the scheme, place and technology.

There is a positive side to your second point (which I agree with): it may be easier to get people excited, get them to contribute and to keep them motivated for bigger projects rather than smaller ones.

OTOH it also can seem the world is full of modest Ozymandiases-in-waiting, watching for their moment to erect a Wonder.  Being modest they often say they're happy just being a part of it!  Their reward - cutting the tape and perhaps being named on a small dedicatory plaque...

Anyway what's clear is the idea of "maybe just use a bit less" or even "little and often" would be risible as a political position.  Perhaps it always has been?

Hirsute | 1 week ago
4 likes

Brenda is going to be furious. She already had to run once to the hospital as her bus was cancelled - she'll have to run even more now !

(Brenda standing in a pothole to demonstrate the state of local roads).

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
1 like

Hirsute wrote:

Brenda is going to be furious. She already had to run once to the hospital as her bus was cancelled - she'll have to run even more now !

(Brenda standing in a pothole to demonstrate the state of local roads).

That doesn't look like Bristol to me. I'm pretty sure Rees-Mogg would be hounded out of the city if he ever dared to set foot in Bristol.

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
4 likes

She had to run to a Bristol hospital from where ever that is north Somerset.

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
0 likes

Hirsute wrote:

That's more like it.

Here in Bristol we're often bewildered by the way that people in surrounding areas such as North Somerset seem to keep voting Tory. Our Police and Crime Commissioner for Avon and Somerset (not that Avon exists) would have stayed Tory if it wasn't for Bristolians.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Hirsute wrote:

That's more like it.

Here in Bristol we're often bewildered by the way that people in surrounding areas such as North Somerset seem to keep voting Tory. Our Police and Crime Commissioner for Avon and Somerset (not that Avon exists) would have stayed Tory if it wasn't for Bristolians.

I think it's the stereotype of who votes Tory.  Once you get out into the countryside south of the A369 heading out toward Nailsea, Tickenham, etc, there are a LOT of very big houses with big fences and big electric gates.  I don't honestly imagine that the people living there vote Green or Labour, which is why we have Liam bl00dy Fox as our MP until the end of time…

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 week ago
0 likes

Sir Liam fox.
Please show due deference to our betters.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
1 like

Hirsute wrote:

Sir Liam fox. Please show due deference to our betters.

"Betters"? Liam Fox? "Betters"??

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 week ago
2 likes

I understand he has at least watched 'Spaced'.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
0 likes

MattKelland replied to hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

That doesn't look like Bristol to me. I'm pretty sure Rees-Mogg would be hounded out of the city if he ever dared to set foot in Bristol.

You're not wrong:
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/jacob-rees-mogg-chased-u...

hawkinspeter replied to MattKelland | 1 week ago
2 likes

MattKelland wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

You're not wrong: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/jacob-rees-mogg-chased-u...

Close - that's Cardiff

Pages

Latest Comments