Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wanted: Cycling knickers

Hi everyone,

The move to traditional bikes and clothing from ten years back seems to be fairly over. Even its foremeost proponents have largely moved away from their own re-discoveries.
Thus it seems that even Rene Herse are not doing their cycling knickers anymore; in any case they're not listed in their shop any longer, even "out of stock", as would normally be the case were they only temporarily unavailable.
My own first pair (from 2016, under their old  brand Compass) are now beyond repair. And I dont' find any replacements that don't have a look far too sporty (like the Endura Humvee, with synthetic-looking fabrics, huge logos, lots of ungainly seams...), or too Victorian, or... Anyway they really do need to have a fairly cycling specific cut, so it's not just about any hiking or hunting knickers that'll fit the bill.

These items are pretty essential to my cycling wardrobe, in fact they're indispensable. So I'll keep hoping they turn up again on the RH website, but in the almost unthinkable case they don't, does anyone have any suggestions? At all?

Many thanks indeed,
Martin

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

61 comments

mattw replied to mattw | 1 month ago
2 likes

I think it's Yanks dreaming of being Superman.

They need Y-Fronts to wear outside their pants.

marmotte27 replied to mattw | 1 month ago
1 like

And have you got anything constructive to contribute?

Bigtwin replied to mattw | 1 month ago
1 like

Except bib knickers has been a common cycling term in the UK for decades, and has never meant Y-fronts or Sloggi's with trouser braces attached...

marmotte27 | 1 month ago
0 likes

Update for the RH knickers: they may come back some day, but the question is when (I haven't found anything satisfactory in the meantime).

https://www.renehersecycles.com/etas-for-out-of-stock-products-2/

"The Rene Herse cyclotouring knickers have many fans. There are times when it just doesn’t feel right to enter restaurants, shops or museums dressed only in tight-fitting cycling shorts. The sophisticated cut of these knickers doesn’t inhibit performance—above I’m wearing them in Paris-Brest-Paris.

The intricate nature of these knickers makes them very hard to sew. The small workshop in Seattle that used to make them for us is busy with other, simpler projects. So there will be no more until we find a new supplier.

This is a problem with many of our products: Their superior performance also makes them very hard to manufacture. We are a small customer for most of our suppliers, yet we demand the highest quality standards."

marmotte27 replied to David9694 | 8 months ago
0 likes

Thanks, I've scoured the length and breadth of the internet now. While not finding those exact links, they don't correspod to what I'm looking for. N°1 is figure hugging cycling garb, not adapted to anything beyond actual sports cycling. N° 2 is  amongst the kind of things I've been looking at, and have in general found looking out of place in most contexts for being made from a kind of fabric that directly says "sports clothes", in this case augmented bu lots of zippers, big logos etc.

I'm not saying that I'm not picky, but I did have somethig that fit the bill exactly...

David9694 replied to marmotte27 | 8 months ago
0 likes

Do you have a pic of your old knickers before you wore them out? So we have more of an idea what to look for? 

I've had two pairs of these which I'm sure you'll have looked at - great for both walking and cycling - I think you'd still be ahead on £££ if you were to get these and have them altered. 

https://www.endurasport.com/hummvee-chino-trousers-navy/12923533.html?sw...

marmotte27 replied to David9694 | 8 months ago
0 likes
marmotte27 | 8 months ago
1 like

Unfortunately I've found confirmation that the Rene Herse knickers aren't made anymore...

marmotte27 replied to marmotte27 | 8 months ago
0 likes

P.S.: Pretty sure that update from "3/2023" wasn't there when I looked for information in June...

hedgepig | 12 months ago
0 likes

Knickers is the American for breeches (as worn by ancient mountaineers).  Montane have some called 3/4 capri pants but appear to be available only to women. I now have 3 pairs of the Montane capris which have a gusset, pockets and a quite high, stretchy waistband.  Stretchy, comfy, light and they don't get stuck in the chain.  I think orienteers wear 3/4 trousers to keep the cuffs out of the heather too.

andystow | 12 months ago
2 likes

Amen, brother. My Compass knickers wore out in the seat (destroyed by a Brooks Cambium, which Compass/RH later warned about) so I would love to find another pair.

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

How about finding some cycling full-length trousers you like - there are quite a few plain looking, okay to wear with a jacket and tie Chino type ones available – and take them to your nearest clothes alterations shop (dry cleaners often do alterations as well), have them take off as much length as suits you and hem them, shouldn't cost too much? 

marmotte27 replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

That's a good idea, will look into it, thanks.

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

It might help if you explained a bit more exactly what you are (or aren't) looking for. There are a number of brands that offer a range of gravel/commuting/general outdoors apparel so something might be suitable. The main caveat is that mostly the options are either "shorts" (finish above the knee) or "trousers" (finish at the ankle).

If it's a strict requirement that they finish below the knee (3/4 length) then that does narrow the choice. Narrows further if you don't like the Endura Humvee or anything else too "sporty" but still want a cycling specific cut...

marmotte27 replied to OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

You've summed it up quite nicely in your second para. That's the predicament, these things have pretty gone away again now...

marmotte27 replied to marmotte27 | 1 year ago
0 likes

It's as much about practicality as it is about looks.
Wear them with some long socks. Push down the socks and it's as if you're cycling in shorts, i.e. ease of pedalling and efficient cooling. At the destination, pull up the socks and it's almost as if you're wearing trousers, especially if the knickers have an understated look like the RH. (Same on a cold day in the mountains. Push socks down on the uphills, pull up on downhills; nothing else needed...)
No shorts nor pants come anywhere close. It's no coincidence imo that knickers were pretty ubiquitous last time cycling was a serious means of transport in everyday life, i.e. until the 1950s.

brooksby replied to marmotte27 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have some 3/4 length plain cotton shorts that I bought on Amazon marketplace.  As is always the case, though, having bought two pairs, by the time they started wearing through they'd been discontinued and - as marmotte27 has found - it is very difficult to find 3/4 length shorts which aren't nylon-ish cargo pant type things...

Paul J | 1 year ago
1 like

Vulpine have padded cycling underwear.

marmotte27 replied to Paul J | 1 year ago
2 likes

It's knickers as in knickerbockers, i.e. plus twos/fours or breeches.

Paul J replied to marmotte27 | 12 months ago
1 like

Aha... I've never heard knickerbockers being called knickers before, but then I never knew knickerbockers were still a thing either! (And I do appreciate the wisdom in older clothing - e.g. I think the old jerseys with two pockets on the front are _great_ and have a few; and I have woollen bibs for the winter).  3

Learn something new every day. Though, knickerbockers don't look like something I'd try.  3

Sriracha | 1 year ago
0 likes
duncanap replied to Sriracha | 1 year ago
1 like

They look pretty cool for the right bike, it's a shame brooks don't do clothes as well as saddles as that would be right on brand for them.

marmotte27 replied to duncanap | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yeah, as I said there was a sort of renaissance ten years ago, quite a few interesting producers of merino jerseys and such kit had sprung up. But now that seems to be petering out unfortunately.

The good thing about Rene Herse is they really thoroughly test their designs and these function really well. The cloth could (have) be(en) a little more resistant, especially for someone like me who uses them all the time, but on the whole they are pretty good.

marmotte27 replied to Sriracha | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes, exactly. They're an essential part of my wardrobe as in these and a merino jersey I can cycle 20km to an appointment and still look presentable on arriving and generally not feel out of place in an everyday context.

levestane | 1 year ago
0 likes

Riv have some interesting clothing. 

marmotte27 replied to levestane | 1 year ago
0 likes

Rivendell you mean?

levestane replied to marmotte27 | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes. It may be worth looking at the hill walking sector, but they are not as common as they used to be. One option could be to modify some walking trousers.

marmotte27 replied to levestane | 1 year ago
0 likes

I might try the Rivendell Cycling Baggies if nothing else turns up.

Freddy56 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I think you are the last person to cycle but what to look like you are riding a horse!

Set of baggie shorts and knee warmers, look better and less friction!

Pages

Latest Comments