Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Drivers and their problems

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3351 comments

Awavey replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

well I have to admit it does look pretty daft so far, though not finished yet, so maybe it will make more sense later on.

mark1a replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Not that far from me (next county over in Dorset)  

A significant proportion of Somerset is below sea level and pan-flat (Somerset Levels). The flooding is managed by a series of moors and reservoirs linked by rivers, some man-made spillways with sluices and water is pumped between them. The A361 closes when the spillway near it is taking water away in case it floods. 

Much better explanation here if anyone is still reading. 
https://www.somersetriversauthority.org.uk/how-the-somerset-moors-work/

brooksby replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
2 likes
David9694 replied to JustTryingToGetFromAtoB | 1 year ago
2 likes

Yeah, but where's my air fryer and straighteners?

David9694 replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like
hawkinspeter replied to SaveTheWail | 1 year ago
2 likes

SaveTheWail wrote:

The driver did not understand why the car was not roadworthy:

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/crime/severely-damaged-car-driving-through-derbyshire-town-seized-by-police-3988453

//www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/webimg/b25lY21zOmQ4MWU0NTY2LTEzMGItNGEyZS1hNDdjLTE0YmY1NmJkNDllMzo0MjI0Njc5YS0xYzMyLTQxMzQtYmQyZC0wOWVlOTE3ODcwZmE=.jpg)

That'll buff right out

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

Bit of T Cut

kil0ran replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Went past Stony Lane this morning, a couple of drivers had tried their luck and got stuck. Surprisingly not German bahnsturmers - twas a Corsa and something vaguely Hyundai-looking. 

Back up towards Ringwood there were two cars in the hedge having taken out a telegraph pole. 50mph stretch and based on where they ended up I'd imagine it was black ice and straight on til morning.

wtjs replied to SaveTheWail | 1 year ago
2 likes

drivers commonly think they're entitled to go through a red light after giving way to an emergency vehicle, as though they have completely failed to understand the purpose of the red light

He should move to Lancashire. A second or so after they turn red is accepted as OK around here

wtjs replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
5 likes

Her solicitor told the court that her decision has "left her 34-year police career in jeopardy and her reputation in tatters"

She would be in demand for a career at the Met

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

I think you'll find that was  one of the claimed crashes (according to the comments) below 10 mph !

SaveTheWail replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes, their interpretation is along the lines of 'I'm using this access-only road to access where I want to get to on the other side of it.'

brooksby replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

Its surprising that the Wales Online website hadn't checked something as fundamental as that before clicking on 'publish'... 

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
4 likes

Triggered. I'm not a pensioner, but I am old enough to remember when cheques were a thing in shops (and when shops were a thing).  I remember debit cards becoming a thing (credit cards already were, but M&S and John Lewis didn't accept them for a long time.) 

It must be a blast in the quaint shops of Cirencester.  My blood pressure is better these days:

"that's £74.99" Rummage for cheque book, rummage for pen, items moved to create writing space, "how much again?" "£74.99" "what's the date today? / Do you have stamp/who's it to?" "Bloggs ltd". Rummage for cheque card, assistant hand-writes the number on the back. In Halfords, the till had a slot on it which imprinted more info on the back. "can I change it if it's not right?" 

David9694 replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
2 likes

It does seem a bit strange, after all here is a government that is inclined to monetise everything and anything, and doesn't seem too worried about setting up a cost of living crisis (and a host of other crises) but then doesn't hand a commission contract to - I dunno - Serco or Capita to go after the 100,000s of VED miscreants.  A lack of inclination, I'll agree, but that is different to a teenagery can't be bothered. 

Awavey replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

they didnt say whether they prosecuted them for attempting that though, as Id have thought was a crime in itself, not least using a mobile phone in that manner whilst in a car that I doubt theyd bothered to turn the engine off of.

David9694 replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
1 like

Very clear and comprehensive thanks. The news today is that it's been re-opened - but as I look out the window this morning, I wonder for how long. 

As regards non-compliance with the road closure, there's a "don't drive / live in an area that floods, then" brewing inside me. 

David9694 replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
3 likes

Bond plot hole: "Have some divers ready because the motorbike, car and helicopter attacks may fail and he's bound to drive into the sea at some point." 

OnYerBike replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

If only the bridge had hi-viz. Oh wait...  https://goo.gl/maps/QGNHVRRCPhWLQ9Hr7

SaveTheWail replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

I've never been so angry about something that I danced the Conga:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/01/16/people-are-so-angry-about-road-markings-t...

David9694 replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
4 likes

Driver "makes up road rule for himself...gets fined" shock. 

ktache replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
3 likes

I was reading the fine marina Hyde in the guardian today, about the dodgy met, and she linked to a times article, for which I could only really read the synopsis, but it would appear that the head of the IOPC had to resign, and not quickly enough, over serious allegations, sex with a minor.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Below 10mph?? Rubbish!

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

According to the mot it has had the same advisory for the last 2 years

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

So much for pride and joy !

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

David9694 wrote:

Triggered. I'm not a pensioner, but I am old enough to remember when cheques were a thing in shops (and when shops were a thing).  I remember debit cards becoming a thing (credit cards already were, but M&S and John Lewis didn't accept them for a long time.) 

It must be a blast in the quaint shops of Cirencester.  My blood pressure is better these days:

"that's £74.99" Rummage for cheque book, rummage for pen, items moved to create writing space, "how much again?" "£74.99" "what's the date today? / Do you have stamp/who's it to?" "Bloggs ltd". Rummage for cheque card, assistant hand-writes the number on the back. In Halfords, the till had a slot on it which imprinted more info on the back. "can I change it if it's not right?" 

I remember the original credit card machines that used carbon paper to imprint the details onto paper that you then had to sign

NOtotheEU replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Maybe they should get an old Leyland van, screw a TV aerial to the roof and pretend it can detect VED dodgers while actually using the DVLA/DVSA database to catch people.

Can't think where I got such a laughably stupid idea like that from.

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Tempting, isn't it?  The "but you moved to a lovely (but isolated) rural location", or the "but maybe there were jobs which weren't 50 miles away", or "you could move closer to school / work"...

There is definitely a "tragedy of the commons" being played out e.g. "if only we didn't all drive our children to school we wouldn't all feel we have to drive our children to school".  But also happening over time e.g. "I've lived here all my life - there were shops and even a library when I was growing up.  Then the school closed, the local hospital was merged with the one in the city..."

The flooding thing for me is another long term example of this.  Where our collective actions will (by their summed tiny contributions) make life hugely more problematic - but not equally.

Simon E replied to ktache | 1 year ago
2 likes

Some pretty damning stuff about the Met. Absolutely rotten from top to bottom.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/17/david-carricks-cri...

Sian Norris paints a similar picture for Byline Times: "It’s not a bad apple, it’s a rotting orchard"

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/01/16/violent-misogyny-in-policing-violent-...

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

A five year gap 2015 to 2011 in the MoT history and pretty modest mileage 2021 to 2022.  I bet all it's got are a few minor scratches to its Barbie paintwork, bit of T-cut. 

Pages

Latest Comments