Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Legal Cycling Suplements

I started road cycling this August and been really heavy on it. However my legs especially quads and knees are starting to hurt a lot at periods. Is there any suplement that can help and is legal/natural and speed up the recovery and rest periods?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

'Spin to win, ' I like that. Nice 1.
Years ago the blokes on this site helped me learn enjoyments of cycling great fully. Basically same thing. Spin it a bit more.
BTW, nice looking bike bro. Looks more ride able than the white 1. Not all is black and white. I'm not the fittest fastest but loving it. On wider tyres I tend to think resistance increase fulcrums around 20-25kmph. Eg lower rolling resistance vs windage where windage is a triple exponential force multiplier, at about 20kmph they seem pretty even although the wide ones might make stance a little easier on rims during climb.
I've entered to try and ride 1500km this month but I think I'll fail and roll about half of that. 6 12 hour labour days are normal but with all the extra energy I've decided 14 hours on most days in lue of 50km.
Point with spinning is it might seem a waste of energy at first but the ease of impact on the body is so worth it. I was surprised Monday morning. I checked the phone at the peak of climb to make sure I wouldn't be late to work and had averaged 20.3 kmph over a 200metre climb of 13.something kms.
My bog cog is 48 gear inch and I'm stuffed if I stall on anything steeper than 5% yet I remember dropping back and climbing about 1km of 9% at 180rpm. My muscles aren't huge, just spinning with hope because clipons suck if you have to walk.

definitely helps riding a comfortable bike, eg a bike that fits.
Rock on bro

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Aching quads and knees would indicate your seat height is incorrect, most likely too low. Get a bike fit before you do yourself some long term injury.

I tend to find my glutes ache as much as my thighs, because I have my setup tuned over several years of micro adjustments. Learn to use a higher cadence, 90+ rpm. This reduces stress injury. However ever once you have a perfect seat height position, lower power cadences shouldn't really impact upon knees. Low cadences should only be used for short periods, because they destroy the legs before they should.

Its an old phrase 'spin to win'.
Alot of my senior club mates ride 70-80 miles using a high cadence for most of the ride, only employing low cadences occasionally to power over climbs

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
2 likes

As has been mentioned , specific pain means something is wrong. Don't keep pressing on, you will regret it and end up in a spiral downwards. I know chasing those gains and PRs is addictive at first but if could do cycling again I'd have given things a rest sometimes rather than thinking romantic pain is still a gain, I'm a cycling hardman, Coppi would be proud etc. The end result is time off the bike and physio.

Boatsie replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
0 likes
Rick_Rude wrote:

As has been mentioned , specific pain means something is wrong. Don't keep pressing on, you will ...... The end result is time off the bike and physio.

If new to cycling, coordination is difficult to explain. I've read Olympic cyclists spin about 90 gear inch. Eg 50 tooth chain wheel, 15 tooth axle. It's nowhere near as high a ratio as modern road bikes. Essentially they rev lots more smaller amounts of torque and build power, thus reducing torque (force).
I think improvement would be greater and hence faster sooner if you learn to ride in a ratio that you can easily redline the revs of due to the ease of leverage and the requirements of torque.
If done, your coordination will improve your lack of coordination that is hurting your knees and like punching a wall, at the moment you're hard-hitting brick rather than learning techniques.
Improvement is fast dude.. Muscles grow properly too.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

Garlic. A clove first thing on an empty stomach is read as a way to use a super food.
Ohh yeah. Heats a body quick.
Celery a good carbo fibre mix.
Berries are yummy.
Best luck bro..
Revs improve power without over doing torque hence improve recovery times. I'm no expert.. I like the feeling

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Spin faster bro. Rev 'em up and coast. Coordination will adore you. High gears might torque too much. Power =revs *torque (adjusted with a linear coefficient).
Mates friend can no longer cycle because he is strong and popped his knees climbing.

As per diet. I dated a gorgeous chick once, quads cyclists would be jealous of yet she achieved a lot of muscle growth via Yoga.
I missed a second date  2 but I was in shock, the kayak blade touched other than water. To me it's like squirting dirty water on a cassette, that blade's designed to do nothing other than grasp purchase such that the vessel may be propelled.
I really admired her diet tip. Really good girl, a compliment to have had the privilege of a paddle with.

Reverse the diet. Red Meat is acidic hence people that eat red meat prior sleep actually rest while an acidic nutrient removes a lot of their earnings. Therefore eat red meat at least 8 hours before sleep such that body may process progress.
Breakfast cereals are loaded with carbohydrates. Carbs are fuel. By eating cereal at dinner time, the body may awake with energy because your rest time has been used to fill up your tank.
If peckish or in change of diet, fish is often a suitable dinner meat.
Eg. A kings breakfast and something light late.
Ohh.. And eat healthy, most the crap comes with loads of plastic anyhow. Fresh food and a carry bag is Watt in the build of champions.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
2 likes

Your knees shouldn't hurt. Isolated quad pain also points to a fit issue because everything should ache, not just one muscle group. What exercise were you doing prior to starting cycling?

If you're really hammering the training and serious about this investing in a bike fit will get you way more performance than supplements. Go get a basic fit done - a good one will cost you around £80.

viktorapo | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cool, good to know all this, the thing is its not "that" bad, just want some suplements so I can squeeze in more training/less rest

jaysa replied to viktorapo | 4 years ago
2 likes

viktorapo wrote:

... so I can squeeze in more training/less rest

Great that you are so enthusiastic, but remember rest is when your body recovers and gets stronger. Too little rest and you end up less strong and can tip into overtraining. It takes me 2 days to fully recover from a good hard session but YMMV.

Defo. get a basic bike fit and start some daily stretches. Is your saddle the correct height? Watch your knees as you ride - do they go out at the top of the stroke? Are you using clip-in pedals without enough float?  What's your sports background / general level of fitness and flexibility?

... and welcome to road.cc smiley

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Mmmm, chocolate milk.

Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

Current thinking is that supplements to reduce DOMS also reduce the adaptation that you want to invoke. If you've only been cycling a few weeks and/or are training hard then I would suggest that you probably need to add in some rest days each week to let your body recover and adapt.

However, if it's your knees then a bikefit would be worth considering. Gentle stretching after exercise can help and yoga or pilates type exercises can also keep your muscles in balance.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

Sore muscles are one thing, but sore knees aren't a good sign - I'd recommend getting a bike fit.

Chocolate milk is a good post exercise recovery drink and has a good proportion of protein to carbohydrate.

Pages

Latest Comments