Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyres

Just enjoying not remembering when my last puncture was. I'm sure there's lots of other commuter road rider users.
I rode lots in eastern Europe on not great roads using Kenda 35mm tyres. Fast enough but never punctured.
At home I mainly use two bikes all year round. The hub gear bike gets used in storms. I like the Maxxis Overdrive 700c38. I doubt I'll ever puncture them. They last ages too and roll easily. They only clear the front though. Both use Lifeline Armour commuter tyres rear. Hub clears 35mm. Derrailuar (lol) clears 32mm. I doubt I'll ever puncture them too. Ridden over crap such as car accidents, broken glass, etc. I usually get 20-25kmph averages. Dirt cheap and durable.
Summer bikes have 28mm and 23mm tyres. I think they're faster on smooth roads. I can only remember the 28mm puncturing during storm; they're pretty tough. Quality counts but I'm really impressed with the slight road speed loss of the 32,35 L. A. C. tyres coming with durability and a very low cost tyre. Plus if one does go, PSI is low enough to pump full load pressure on a cold night but I doubt I will puncture.
I'd rather the Overdrives front and rear but they won't fit.
I'm sure other brands exist.. Hoping to be helpful.
Cheerio

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Lousid | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have 650b x45 grand bois tyres on A3 velocity rims. Grand bois seem to have stopped production and I’m looking for a good alternative folding tyre. Can anyone recommend (prefer a colour!)

only1redders replied to Lousid | 4 years ago
0 likes

Lousid wrote:

I have 650b x45 grand bois tyres on A3 velocity rims. Grand bois seem to have stopped production and I’m looking for a good alternative folding tyre. Can anyone recommend (prefer a colour!)

WTB and Panaracer are the ones that would immediately spring to mind. If I remember correctly, Panaracer and Grand Bois are manufactured in the same factory, as they're made under licence https://www.planetx.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2011/05/12/grand-bois-jap...

I think they're actually still going, but you may want to contact them and ask about their UK distribution https://www.facebook.com/cyclesgrandbois/

Boatsie replied to Lousid | 4 years ago
0 likes
Lousid wrote:

I haven't a clue regarding 650b.
The tyres you use look really nice but show at 52 quid ($100).
I know I'm sticking with what I have .
Maxxis, Lifeline; $25,$20
I tried to build a gravel bike but the stays limited me to 32 on the rear, about 40 between the forks.
The Lifeline and the Maxxis; Armour Commuter and Overdrive have ship loads of volume and low PSI which hop easy and cushion, semi slick groves that grip in the wet and are a pleasure to ride on and they seem to refuse to wear away.
I'm very impressed. Rear panniers loaded with tools doesn't hurt other than road speed and acceleration.
I'm not that smart. I know they're good tyres hence when they wear away I'll probably replace both front and rear with the Lifeline 32mm. Nowadays I've removed the panniers due to windage and rucksack a lot less weight. Usually just a pump, a tube and a spray jacket.
They are slower than the GP4000s but they're consistently moving when used. (I don't puncture much on thin tyres but mind is eased especially knowing that gas stations can usually fully inflate the fatties).
Reflective walls shine at night (Lifeline).

Latest Comments